Warm chocolate cake plus a creamy cheesecake topping and melty chocolate chips? My Single Serve Black Bottom Cupcake is an easy Keto Mug Cake that tastes like heaven and is ready in about five minutes.
This may not be the prettiest dessert I’ve ever come up with, but it is one of the tastiest. And who needs pretty when you can be eating this keto mug cake in less than five minutes. It’s fun to make it in a glass dish and wash it puff up. The cream cheese filling slid over to the side but I just made sure to scoop up a little when I was eating it.
Five Minute Keto Mug Cake Recipe
Ooey gooey chocolate coming up in less than 5 minutes! Confession: I ate this for lunch. I was hard at work on a few recipes and cake. It was filling and decadent. I didn't feel too guilty since this is a healthy mug cake recipe!
What is Cake in a Mug
If you have never heard of cake in a mug, you got to try this out! Mug cakes are merely a single-serve cake that is mixed and cooked in your microwave. Just grab a sturdy mug that is microwave safe and pour your batter into the cup.
Pop in the microwave for a few minutes, and you have a single-serve cake calling your name! Quick to make, serves one, and is truly a no-fuss recipe! I like to call a mug cake, the best invention ever!
You can find a ton of different variations of mug cakes. From Nutella swirled, vanilla, funfetti style, and more. Who knew making a mug cake was so simple.
Keto Gooey Chocolate Mug Cake
My chocolate buster recipe of all time is this recipe right here! It's fast, and it also fixes my sweet tooth! Best of all it allows me to stay within moderation. If I make a whole cake, it is hard not to eat the entire cake sometimes. Am I right? So skip the entire cake on those stressful days, so you don't over-indulge.
More Incredible Chocolate Recipes
- Chocolate Cake Bars with Swirl
- Flourless Mug Cake
- Fudgy Brownies
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting Cupcakes
Need something no-bake? Try this Sugar-Free Nutella Chocolate Mousse!
Is This Chocolate Mug Cake Gluten Free
Yes! This recipe is gluten free as well as sugar-free. I know there are so many regular recipes that offer a mug cake recipe. I wanted to create a low carb mug cake that was gluten-free as well. So if you have a strict diet or need certain ingredients, I could provide that for you.
I use plain almond flour for this particular mug cake. I find it offers the best consistency.
Can I Substitute The Sour Cream
Yes! I think you could easily swap out the sour cream with Greek yogurt or pumpkin puree as I state in the recipe box. I haven't tried either of these, but I think either would work well.
Since you would only use a little bit of the pumpkin puree, you may not want to open a can. I get it! It is always a good excuse for me to whip up some pumpkin inspired goodies after I make a mug cake.
Ways To Dress Up Your Mug Cake Even More
- Add Fresh Berries to the side when serving
- A dollop of sugar-free jam
- Pair with a low carb "nice" cream
- Make homemade whipped cream or coconut whipped cream to put on top
- A dollop of sugar-free homemade nutella hazelnut spread on top
- Dust with cinnamon once it is done
How to Make a Chocolate Mug Cake Keto
Grab a large microwave-safe mug and spray it down with cooking spray. This is going to help prevent the cake from sticking in the cup. Trust me, don't skip this step!
Then in a small bowl, you want to mix together all the ingredients for your cake. Try to remove as many lumps as you can. Pour the cake mixture into the mug and set aside.
Grab another bowl and assemble the cheesecake topping. Once it is ready, just pour over the cake batter and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
Pop in the microwave and cook for a few minutes, and watch the cake puff up!
How to Store Leftovers of a Mug Cake
If you don't eat your entire mug cake, you can always store the leftovers in the fridge. Since it has a cheesecake topping that will need to be refrigerated. The cake isn't too large, so you shouldn't have leftovers, but if you do, it will last 2-3 days in the fridge!
So what are you waiting for? This keto mug cake is a keto-approved dessert you can whip up in minutes. It will keep you on track and prevent you from eating something maybe you shouldn't.
I make this recipe for my whole family. Kids love getting their own mug cake to themselves. I mean a whole cake all to yourselves, talk about impressive! If you love cake and love chocolate, this recipe might be a perfect fit for you!
Have you tried making a keto mug cake recipe yet?
Love Mug Cakes? Check these out:
- 2 tablespoon sour cream (or pumpkin puree)
- 2 tablespoon Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 egg reserve 1 teaspoon egg white for cheesecake topping
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- 2 tablespoon almond flour
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon egg white
- ½ tablespoon Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- ½ tablespoon sugar free chocolate chips
- Spray a large mug with cookie spray.
- In a small bowl stir together the ingredients for the cake. Add to the mug.
- In another small bowl stir together the cream cheese, egg white, and sweetener for the filling. Spoon on top of the cake. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips.
- Microwave for 2 -3 minutes until the cake is puffed up and the chocolate chips have melted.
Originally Published July 26, 2017. Revised and Republished April 18, 2019.