Black bottom cupcakes are such a rich and tender cupcake. A chocolate cake with a cheesecake with chocolate chunks sprinkled throughout. The best part, these are low carb and keto, so my black bottom cupcake recipe is great to keep you on track on your ketogenic diet. This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
This is such a classic recipe that I had to come up with a low carb, keto, grain-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, Trim Healthy Mama version. Black Bottom Cupcakes will be a delicious dessert for any occasion.
BLACK BOTTOM CUPCAKES
For some reason, black bottom cupcakes always remind me of Starbucks. When I was in college, they were a staple in the baked goods display. I may have indulged in one. Once. Or twice. Or… I probably shouldn’t go there.
Back to the present day. And my waistline after four children. Now I need a healthier version than the standard high carb sugar filled black bottom cupcakes. This is low carb, sugar-free, grain-free, gluten-free, and a THM S recipe.
HOMEMADE SUGAR-FREE SWEETENER
If you are new to my blog, you will see that many of my recipes use two unique ingredients. I’ve created my own baking mix and my own blend of sweetener. Both only use three ingredients each. It makes baking much more comfortable to have these mixed up and waiting in the pantry.
Can I Use Homemade Pumpkin Puree
Absolutely! Canned or homemade pumpkin puree will work for this recipe. Just make sure if you buy canned, it is indeed pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie mix.
How Do You Make Cheesecake Batter for Black Bottom Cupcakes
The cheesecake filling is straightforward to make. Since I offered a low carb and keto friendly recipe, I used a Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet or my homemade sweetener, which allows this recipe to be sugar-free. Then I reach for dark chocolate that is 85% dark or sugar-free chocolate chips. Then vanilla, butter, egg, and cream cheese. A simple blend that offers that smooth and velvety texture.
The biggest tip for the cheesecake filling is to ensure you use softened cream cheese. If you don’t, it will give you a cottage cheese curdled texture. So take the time and let that cream cheese soften.
What Size Muffin Tin Do You Use
I used a regular muffin tin for this recipe, but you can do mini or jumbo style for that bakery style muffin. The only difference is the cooking time would vary. If you use a mini muffin tin, you would decrease the time a lot, and increase it slightly for the larger jumbo style tin. Feel free to make what fits your preference.
How To Make Black Bottom Cupcakes
Start by preheating your oven. To make the cupcakes, you just mix all the ingredients in a bowl or stand mixer all at once. It will be a thicker style batter. Then pour into your muffin tin. Then make a well in the center of each cupcake, so that you can spoon the cheesecake in.
Now in a bowl whip up your cheesecake. Then spoon the cheesecake batter into the well in each of the cupcakes. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the cheesecake is slightly firm, and the cake is cooked as well. Place on a cooling rack to allow it to cool down before serving.
Best Way To Store Black Bottom Cupcakes
You will need to store your cupcakes in the fridge. The reason being is the cheesecake part of the cupcakes will spoil if you do not refrigerate. You can expect your cupcakes to last 3-5 days in the fridge. If you prefer a room temperature cheesecake, just sit a cupcake out for a bit and allow it to reach room temperature then enjoy.
Can You Freeze Cheesecake Cupcakes
Yes, these will freeze pretty well. Simply allow the cheesecake cupcakes to cool completely, and then place in an airtight container or even freezer bag and place in the freezer. You can freeze up to three months. Allow to thaw in the fridge or allow it to thaw at room temperature for an hour or so then enjoy. Just don’t let your cupcakes to sit out for more than 2 hours, or you risk it going bad.
If you love cheesecake and cupcakes than this cupcake recipe will win over your heart, we make these cupcakes all the time — birthday parties, holiday events, after-school snacks, and just because.
Looking For More Cupcake Recipes
- Sour Cream Vanilla Keto Recipe| Sour cream vanilla cupcakes, are light, moist and a delicious keto cupcake recipe that will be a treat. great for birthdays, holidays, and more.
- Low Carb Cupcake with Strawberries| If you love strawberries, give this strawberry low carb cupcake recipe. This is a great recipe to use in the summer and spring.
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting| Love chocolate? Give this chocolate lovers cupcake recipe a try. A chocolate cupcake topped with a homemade chocolate cream cheese frosting.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- You can just dump all the chocolate cake ingredients into the bowl at once and mix with an electric mixer. It will end up like a thick chocolate batter. Divide the batter into 12 paper lined muffin tins. Use a spoon to make a well in the center. That is where the cheesecake will go.
- In a new bowl (or after you wash the first one) mix 4 oz cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp butter, and 2 T sweetener. Blend until smooth. Divide the cheesecake batter between the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle the tops of the cupcake with the chopped chocolate. Bake at 350 for 22-25 minutes until the cheesecake is slightly firm, puffed up, and turning golden brown around the edges.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Store in the refrigerator.
Originally Published February 28, 2016. Revised and Republished July 1, 2019.
FREE Mug Cake Cheat Sheet!
Six delicious low carb mug cake recipes on one printable page to keep on the fridge!