Indulge in a piece of this luscious easy Sugar Free Chocolate Cake. It’s rich, delicious, and has a moist cake with homemade keto chocolate frosting. Much healthier than traditional cakes, this beauty happens to be low carb, gluten-free, grain-free, and keto-friendly.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of ChocZero. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Thanks to ChocZero Chocolate Chips, this sugar free chocolate cake is a chocolate lover’s dream. Imagine eating treats that are sugar free but tastes as amazing as the real deal. That’s exactly what you get when munching on anything with ChocZero chocolate.
As a self-proclaimed chocoholic, having options to make keto-friendly desserts is a must. I am so glad that I can use ChocZero in so many of my recipes. Another one of my favorites is my Keto Cookie Dough Brownie Fat Bombs...They are heavenly!
What You’ll Love About ChocZero Chocolate Chips
- There is only 1g net carb in each serving!
- Keto-Friendly and Sugar-Free.
- They melt beautifully.
- It’s shipped in insulated bags and ice, so they don’t melt during warm months.
- Tastes great in recipes like this sugar free chocolate chip (and by the handful).
- No weird after-taste.
- Soy Free, Dairy & Gluten Free.
- Sweetened with monk fruit.
And if white chocolate is more your thing, be sure to try my White Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream made using ChocZero white chocolate chips. It’s incredible and so easy even if it's your first time making ice cream.
What You’ll Need
You’ll need some basic ingredients for the sugar free chocolate cake itself and some for the homemade chocolate frosting. Let’s take a look at what you’ll be needing:
Chocolate Chip Cake:
- Coconut Oil - It’s a great source of healthy fats and has been known to have many health benefits.
- Flour - I use a combination of almond and coconut flour to make the cake. It’s the perfect combination and gives the cake a great texture.
- Sweetener - My all natural sweetener is delicious and is the perfect addition to all your favorite baked goods.
- Baking Powder - It gives the cake the perfect rise.
- Vanilla - Don’t skip the vanilla because it really makes all the difference in the way it tastes.
- Eggs - Adding room temperature eggs helps the batter come together easily. Using 4 whole eggs balances the coconut flour and will make the chocolate chip cake extra rich and delicious.
- Coconut Milk - Creamy, velvety coconut milk is a fabulous addition to the gluten free keto cake. Unsweetened almond milk can be used instead of coconut milk if you prefer.
- Chocolate Chips - I feel like adding the chocolate chips to the cake takes it to the next level.
Keto Chocolate Frosting:
- Cream Cheese - It’s important to let the cream cheese soften enough before using it. Just place it on the counter for 30 minutes - 1 hour before you begin or warm it in the microwave. If it gets too hot from microwaving, let it cool before beginning.
- Butter - The buttery flavor is going to make the frosting resemble buttercream. It’s so amazing.
- Powdered Erythritol - You really need to use powdered, or the texture is going to be gritty, and it’s not going to taste too good.
- Cocoa Powder - To give the frosting a rich chocolate flavor, cocoa powder is the perfect addition.
- Vanilla - I love the extra flavor vanilla adds! You can also swap it for almond extract for a new flavor if you want. Just use ½ teaspoon instead of a full teaspoon.
How To Make a Sugar Free Chocolate Cake
There are just a few steps, and you start digging into a piece of this incredible refined sugar free chocolate chip cake. Let’s get started:
Step One: Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Then line round cake pans with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray.
Step Two: Mix the coconut flour, almond flour, melted coconut oil, sweetener, baking powder, eggs, vanilla, and coconut milk in a medium or large mixing bowl. Fold in the chocolate chips and add the batter to the two pans evenly.
Step Three: Bake the cakes for 20-25 minutes until they are light brown and firm when touched gently in the center. Cool down all the way before frosting.
Step Four: Prepare the frosting by mixing the cream cheese and melted butter together with an electric mixture. Pour in the sweetener, cocoa, and vanilla and continue to mix. It should be thick and creamy, not runny. Add in almond milk a tablespoon at a time if the frosting is too thick.
Step Six: Add the frosting to the cake and sprinkle it with chocolate chips. Enjoy!
Substitutions & Ideas for Sugar Free Chocolate Cake
Espresso Powder - for an amazing mocha chocolate chip layer cake simply add some instant coffee or espresso powder to the icing. A little goes a long way so start with a teaspoon and add it to taste.
Peppermint - sub in peppermint extract for the vanilla or use ChocZero's white chocolate peppermint chips.
Raspberry - if you love the combination of dark chocolate and raspberry top this cake with fresh raspberries in place of the chocolate chips.
Cream Cheese Frosting - this is delicious with either a traditional cream cheese icing or the chocolate cream cheese frosting I used.
Can I Use Another Pan Size?
Yes, you can swap the 9-inch round pans for a 9x13 pan. The baking time is going to vary if you switch to a larger pan. Start checking it at the 25-minute mark and add more time as needed. The reason why I use round pans is that I love layered cakes. The frosting in the center is a bonus! The frosting is so good; you are going to like it a lot on your cake.
You can also make this into cupcakes. Just spray the liners with cooking spray. They should bake for 15-20 minutes at 350.
Triple Chocolate Sugar Free Chocolate Cake
I chose to use a yellow cake studded with sugar free chocolate chips for the inside of this cake. But if you want triple chocolate with a chocolate cake instead just sub in the cake portion of my Keto Chocolate Cake recipe.
The chocolate chip cake itself is dairy-free. If you would like a dairy-free frosting recipe to go with it try this Coconut Oil Chocolate Frosting from my friend Sarah over at My Montana Kitchen. Or a Coconut Whipped Cream from Teresia at Nana's Little Kitchen.
- Preheat oven to 350. Line two 9 inch round cake pans with parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray.
- Combine melted coconut oil with flours, sweetener, baking powder, vanilla, eggs, and coconut milk. Stir until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips. Divide between the prepared pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cakes are lightly browned around the edges and feel firm when pressed with your finger. Cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling off, in a medium bowl add the softened cream cheese and melted butter, mix with an electric mixer. Add the sweetener, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Continue mixing until thick and creamy.
- Frosting should be creamy, but not runny. If the frosting is too dense add the tablespoons of almond milk one by one.
- Use the chocolate icing on the cake. Garnish with chocolate chips.