If you find yourself longing for something sweet, this low carb Keto Vanilla Mug Cake saves the day. It’s tender, sweet, and can be made in under 5 minutes! When you try this vanilla mug cake recipe, you will feel like you are in food heaven. The best part is that its keto, low carb, sugar-free, grain-free, and gluten-free.
You know those days when everything is hectic, and you just want 5 minutes to relax and enjoy a sweet treat? We all have those days, and mug cakes have become the newest fascination. They are seriously so simple to make, and you can be indulging with one in a matter of minutes. Now, you may not have peace and quiet, but at least you will be able to tune it out when you are indulging a little with a gluten free keto dessert
One thing that really wins me over (besides how amazing it tastes) is the fact that it’s a single serving. You can whip up a keto vanilla mug cake and enjoy the entire thing without any fear of blowing my low carb diet or guilt that you have had too much. It’s perfect for those times when you don’t feel like you have self-control or are just really watching what you are eating. And it's one of my all-time favorite sugar free mug cake recipes.
What You Need To Make This Keto Vanilla Mug Cake
- Refined coconut oil - The coconut oil will need to be melted for this mug cake. It’s important to use refined coconut oil because it doesn’t have that coconut flavor that unrefined has. In many recipes, unrefined is perfect, but unless you want your cake to taste tropical, I recommend refined.
- Vanilla - Using pure vanilla extract will give you some lovely flavor. You don’t need very much either.
- Sour cream - Using sour cream will make your mug cake moist and give you a terrific texture.
- Egg - I know a lot of mug cakes don’t require an egg, but using one really binds the ingredients together and gives it a typical cake texture. Often mug cakes will be rubbery and a strange texture without an egg.
- Sugar-Free Sweetener - To give your keto vanilla mug cake the perfect amount of sweetness, you will want one of these sweeteners. Don’t worry; they are free of refined sugar.
- Almond flour & Coconut Flour - The combination of these two flours gives you an unbelievable low carb mug cake perfect for a low carb keto diet.
- Baking powder - When using a little bit of baking powder, you will get the best rise in the mug cake. Make sure to measure properly, so you don’t end up with too much or too little.
- Tiny pinch salt - Surprisingly, a little bit of salt actually brings out the sweetness in the keto vanilla mug cake. It’s pure perfection.
How To Make The Keto Vanilla Mug Cake
Mug cakes are a hit not just because of their flavor, but because they are so simple to make. Once you try one, you will find out, and it’s impossible not to be addicted to them! Take a look:
First Step: Combine the melted coconut oil, vanilla, sour cream, egg, sweetener or choice, flours, baking powder, and salt in a mug or small bowl. Mix well and microwave for 1 ½ minutes. Top with your favorite fruit and enjoy!
Yes, you read that, right! That is all there is to it, so now you can sit back, kick up your feet, and start nibbling on this amazing creation.
How do I serve a mug cake?
You can simply enjoy it straight out of the mug, so there is only one dish to clean up. That is part of the satisfaction of making and eating a mug cake! Even if you make several mug cakes for everyone in the family and have more dishes, it’s worth it because everyone can enjoy their own special dessert.
You can also invert the cake onto a plate and ice it for a mini birthday cake! You can use keto Peanut Butter Frosting, Raspberry Frosting, Chocolate Frosting, Keto Cream Cheese Frosting, or any other icing you enjoy. To keep it simple turn this into a shortcake by adding some whipped cream, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.
Can I Store Leftover Mug Cake?
Yes, if you can’t eat the entire thing or just wanted a simple bite or two, you can save the leftover. Make sure to cover the mug tightly with plastic wrap or remove the mug cake from the container and put it into something airtight. It will last up to 3 days in the fridge. You can actually reheat the mug cake too. Just put it in the microwave for 10-20 seconds or until it’s hot. It’s important not to overheat it this point, or it will dry out and become hard.
If you are in the mood for more low carb recipes for mini desserts, take a look at these:
- Keto Mug Brownie - rich and fudgy this is for true chocolate lovers
- Keto Black Bottom Mug Cake - this is a keto chocolate cake with a cheesecake swirl
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cannoli Mug Cake - a delicious low carb chocolate cake with a cannoli ricotta topping
- Almond Crusted Breakfast Cheesecake - perfect mini cheesecakes that are great for a snack, breakfast or dessert
Like what you see? Follow me on Facebook! Love this recipe? Leave a comment & 5-star rating right here! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by getting email updates!
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil. melted
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tablespoon Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 3 tablespoon almond flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- tiny pinch salt
- Mix well in a microwave-safe mug.
- Microwave for 1.5 minutes.
Made this today in silicone cupcake molds for strawberry shortcake! The cake is delicious. Thanks!
Do you have timing for an air fryer today or oven. I don’t use a microwave but would lobe to try this!
For the oven try 15-20 minutes at 350. I do not know how to cook these in an air fryer.
Perfect consistency! The flavors are amazing and paired with a few fresh berries made the perfect breakfast!
Thanks, Anna! I'm glad you liked it 🙂
Ashley F says
We love making mug cakes and this one is so tasty! Easy too!
This was delicious! Perfect for when you are craving something sweet!
This made the perfect little yummy treat! It is delicious and knocked out my craving in a hurry
Ashley F says
Mug cakes are the best! Love how easy it is to make!
Oh my goodness! That is the best tasting single serve vanilla cake ever! I love it! I made it for my husband with strawberries and whipped cream and he was saying with his mouth full, "This is so good!" I promised to make him another one for tomorrow! Thanks so much! ♥♥♥♥♥
I'm so glad you liked it!