Keto Taco Pie is comforting and a wonderful choice for a busy weeknight meal. Made with ground beef that is seasoned perfectly along with your favorite toppings like shredded cheese, salsa, lettuce, tomato, and onions, you are bound to enjoy it. You can enjoy this taco pie recipe without guilt because it’s gluten-free, grain-free, keto, and low carb.
My family loves Mexican food and we rotate between my Mexican Chicken Casserole, Keto Chile Relleno Casserole, and Baked Chicken Fajitas all the time. We don't save Mexican for Tuesdays and enjoy it at least 2-3 times a month.
If you love Taco Tuesday or have a special night at your home for Mexican food, I have the best recipe for you! It’s a great way to indulge in all those Mexican flavors without eating the same thing over and over. We also love our fair share of tacos, but sometimes we want something a little different and unique. That’s when this low carb keto taco pie comes in to save the day.
Kids and adults will all enjoy a helping (or two) of this Mexican pie. It’s great for entertaining too. You can feed a hungry crowd without a ton of effort from you. Everyone says this is delicious even if they aren't on a keto diet. That’s my favorite part!
Clean up is a breeze, too, so you don’t have to worry about spending the entire night cleaning up the kitchen either. So, trust me! This is a keto taco recipe you are going to want to try.
What You’ll Need:
- Ground Beef or Turkey - I used ground turkey in my photos but ground beef or even ground chicken works well too!
- Egg - adding egg helps hold this together when you cut slices.
- Taco Seasoning - I make my own taco seasoning to avoid fillers and additives. Check out my homemade taco seasoning recipe.
- Coconut Flour - you really can't taste it in this and it helps the pie to hold together. If you want a substitute try almond flour or crushed pork rinds.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese - if you can shred your own because store-bought shredded cheese is typically coated with potato starch.
- Salsa - watch for added sugar when buying salsa. Any salsa without added sugar can work for this! I use a spicy chipotle salsa and my mouth was on fire.
- Chopped Lettuce - romaine, iceberg, or even spinach work.
- Tomato - make sure to choose ripe tomatoes. They should be vibrant red and slightly soft to the touch.
- Onion - white, red, yellow onions are all fine
- Mexican Crema - this really is delicious. If you can't find it where you live you can thin sour cream with a little heavy whipping cream or almond milk.
How To Make Keto Taco Pie
I can’t stress enough how simple this low carb taco bake is. The flavor is insanely good, and you would think it’s been cooking all day to be that tasty. Take a look at these steps:
Step 1: Heat up the oven to 400 degrees F.
Step 2: Mix the ground beef or turkey with the taco seasoning, egg, and coconut flour. Spread the mixture on the bottom of the pie plate. Add half of the shredded cheese on top and bake for 25-28 minutes. The taco pie should be 160 degrees when it’s done.
Step 3: Take the keto taco pie out of the oven and add on salsa, the rest of the cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and onions. Add a drizzle of the Mexican crema on top and serve hot.
Expert Tip: I do a layer of cheese before this bakes for a nice melted cheese flavor and then a layer of salsa and another layer of shredded cheese as a buffer before adding the lettuce. This helps keep the lettuce from wilting when added to the hot taco pie.
Additional Topping Ideas
We love to stick to the basics when it comes to this taco pie recipe, but there are many other options you may enjoy as well. Here are a few ideas to consider adding:
- Jalapenos - If you love a little bit of spice in your life, feel free to add some chopped or sliced jalapenos to the keto taco bake.
- Avocado - Nothing is more delicious and creamy than some fresh avocado slices. Add them and watch the keto taco pie disappear.
- Pico de Gallo - Add some heat, bright colors, and flavor with a little bit of pico de gallo. Yum!
- Green Onions - You can sub these for the white onions or add them to the top for a burst of color.
- Cilantro - Either you love it, or you hate it, but cilantro lovers will appreciate a little bit of chopped cilantro.
- Pepper Jack Cheese - Another great way to add some yummy heat is by adding some shredded pepper jack cheese. I recommend buying a block and shredding it yourself. It tastes so much better.
Can I Double This Recipe?
Of course! If you are feeding several people, go ahead and double or even triple this keto taco pie. You will need one deep dish pie pan for each recipe. Or just bake it in a half tray pan. You will typically get 6-8 servings depending on how big you cut the pieces. So, keep that in mind when you are planning the meal, and you’ll be all set.
How Do You Store Taco Pie?
For best results, let the easy crustless taco pie cool before putting it away. Place the taco pie in a container that is airtight and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until it’s hot all the way through. You can also place it in the oven and bake it at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or so. This will warm it up and prevent it from becoming soggy.
If we are planning on leftovers, we don’t add the toppings to the entire keto taco pie. We let each person add their own toppings to their plate, so when we save leftovers, we don’t have to eat warmed up lettuce or whatever. It’s completely up to you how you handle it, but that is our preference.
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup Mexican crema or sour cream thinned with 1 tbsp of almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Combine the ground meat with the taco seasoning, coconut flour, and egg. Spread in the bottom of a deep dish pie plate. Top with half of the shredded cheese. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until the taco pie is 160 degrees when checked with a meat thermometer.
- Remove from the oven. Layer on the salsa, then the rest of the cheese. Top with the lettuce, tomato, and onion. Finally, drizzle on the crema and serve.
Get the Joy Filled Eats Keto eBook Bundle!
Over 100 easy recipes w/photos & nutrition info.