Low Carb Pineapple Upside Down Cake? Yes! This tender yellow cake has a sweet pineapple topping and only 3 net carbs per piece! It’s easy to make a healthy sugar-free pineapple upside down cake from scratch at home.
Low Carb Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Scratch – Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Grain-Free, THM Friendly
Pineapple upside down cake. Soooo delicious. I have memories of making it with my mom when I was little. Maraschino cherries inside the canned pineapple rings with lots of brown sugar. This is a trickier recipe to make low carb then many others I have done because it’s based in pineapple. Not the low carb fruit. By using just a tablespoon or so of fresh pineapple per serving and pineapple extract to boost the flavor you really can have a low carb pineapple cake.
How to Make Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Obviously, you start with pineapple. I used fresh pineapple for this recipe. It has so much more flavor than canned pineapple so you can get away with only using a little bit. If you don’t have access to fresh pineapple frozen pineapple is better than canned pineapple. Many grocery stores sell cubed fresh pineapple in little containers in the fruit department. They are generally much more expensive per pound than a whole pineapple but if you don’t have a use for the remaining pineapple they are perfect for this recipe. I have no problem going through fresh fruit in my house with five kids to gobble it up.
Topping for Pineapple Upside Down Cake
To start you spread softened butter on the bottom of your baking dish. Top that with the fresh pineapple and sprinkle on sweetener that has been mixed with pineapple extract. The pineapple extract helps maximize the pineapple flavor while keeping the carb count down.
Low Carb Pineapple Upside Down Cake Batter
For the cake batter, I use a combination of almond flour, coconut flour, eggs, yogurt, butter, sweetener, baking powder, and more pineapple extract. I really wanted the pineapple flavor to be the star in this cake. This resulting in one of the most tender cakes I have ever made. The cake just melted in your mouth. It was amazing.
Food Processor Cake
My favorite way to mix cake is in my food processor. I have a big stand mixer but more often than not I just toss all the cake ingredients into the food processor and give them a whirl.
Tips for a Perfect Low Carb Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Don’t underbake it. It should be deep golden brown as in the photo below. The center should feel firm to the touch and not jiggle.
- Cool for at least 20 minutes before trying to invert it. To invert it run a knife around the edges to loosen it. Invert a plate on top and then flip the cake and plate so the cake is on the plate. If any pineapple pieces get stuck just add them back to where they are missing.
- Use flavorful pineapple. If you use pineapple that is not sweet and ripe your cake will be bland. Make sure the pineapple tastes great before using it in a low carb pineapple upside down cake. That little bit of pineapple needs to go a long way.
Other delicious Low Carb Cake Recipes to try:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spread the softened butter in the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking dish. Put a layer of pineapple on top of the butter. Mix together the 1/4 cup sweetener and the pineapple extract in a small bowl. Sprinkle that on top of the pineapple.
- Add the cake ingredient to a food processor. Process until smooth. Drop by spoonfuls on top of the pineapple. Gently spread to cover all the pineapple.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and slightly firm to the touch. Cool for 20 minutes and then invert onto a serving platter. Store leftovers in the fridge.
To sub in Swerve use 1.5 to 2 times the amount of sweetener called for.