Keto chocolate cake plus a cheesecake topping plus chocolate chunks. This is a family-friendly keto recipe that will fulfill your dessert cravings! This easy cake recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
My family loves my Black Bottom Cupcakes. They are one of my go-to dessert recipes whenever I'm asked to bring a dessert to a party or event. I've been wanting to convert that classic recipe into a family-sized chocolate cake bar for years! Sometimes it's just easier to dump all the batter into a 9 x 13 pan and cut it into bars after it bakes. This way you can also cut them smaller to have more to share.
Where did Black Bottom Cupcakes originate?
I have no idea. I tried unsuccessfully to find out where this delicious recipe originated. If anyone knows please fill me in by leaving a comment!
My first taste of Black Bottom Cupcakes was in college when they were sold at Starbucks. When I walked from my dorm to my art classes downtown I walked right past Starbucks. On special occasions (when I actually had a little extra pocket change) I'd pop in and get one of these or a Maple Oat Nut Scone.
Ingredients for Keto Chocolate Cake
almond flour, coconut flour, and ground golden flax (or Trim Healthy Mama Baking Blend) - I’ve really come to prefer almond flour in baked goods. It gives a tender crumb in cakes, cookies, and biscuits. But it can be expensive. By using in a combination with coconut flour and ground golden flax you can cut the cost and increase the fiber of your baked goods.
sugar-free sweetener - I like to use a blend of xylitol, erythritol, and stevia in my recipes. You can purchase this pre-mixed from the Trim Healthy Mama website or mix your own according to my recipe. By using a combination of sugar alcohols and stevia you can use half the amount required of regular sugar. Since these sweeteners can be more expensive this helps with my food budget.
raw cacao or cocoa powder - I'm currently using raw cacao powder which can be used in place of cocoa powder. Costco has Navitas Cacao Powder for a good price. I like the flavor in my baked goods.
vanilla - With the price of vanilla being astronomical I decided to try a Mexican vanilla extract and have been happy with the results. It is much much cheaper than other vanilla extracts. I got 5 oz for under $6.
pumpkin puree - pumpkin puree helps the cake to stay moist and tender
eggs, butter, baking powder, salt
Ingredients for the Cheesecake Filling
cream cheese - make sure it is room temp so that the filling mixes easier
egg - it also helps to have room temperature eggs. Whenever I forget to take them out ahead of time I just put them in a bowl of warm tap water to quickly bring them up to room temp.
sugar free sweetener
85% dark chocolate or sugar free chocolate chips - 85% chocolate is naturally low carb because it has such a high percentage of cocoa. There is only a little room left for other ingredients. If you would rather use sugar free chocolate chips those work well too!
Steps to Make Keto Chocolate Cake with Cheesecake Filling
My favorite recipes are dump and mix. And only use one bowl. This is one of those recipes!
Step 1: Add all the cake ingredients to a large bowl. Mix. Pour into a greased 9 x 13.
Step 2: Rinse bowl. Add all the cheesecake topping ingredients. Mix. Pour over the chocolate cake batter.
Step 3: Top with chocolate. Bake. Eat.
Need some other Keto Chocolate Recipes? Try these:
I hope you enjoy this Keto Chocolate Cake with Cheesecake Topping! Leave a comment and let me know what you think!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoon coconut flour
- ⅔ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- ⅔ cup raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoon butter softened
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 oz 85% dark chocolate (chopped) or sugar free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- You can just dump all the chocolate cake ingredients into the bowl at once and mix with an electric mixer. It will end up like a thick chocolate batter. Spread in the prepared baking pan.
- In a new bowl (or after you wash the first one) mix the cheesecake topping ingredients (except the chocolate) Blend until smooth. Pour over the chocolate cake batter.
- Sprinkle the tops of the cupcake with the chopped chocolate. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until the cheesecake is slightly firm, puffed up, and turning golden brown around the edges.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Store in the refrigerator.