This Keto Lava Cake recipe is so easy; you will feel like you are cheating. When you bite into this rich and decadent keto chocolate lava cake, you will be hit with a fluffy cake and ooey-gooey center oozing out. These only have 7 ingredients and are ready to enjoy in under 25 minutes! You are going to have a new favorite dessert, and it just so happens to be gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and low carb too.
There are days when I want nothing more than to relax with a warm chocolate dessert in my hands. With this incredible keto lava cake, you can have just that. It’s baked to utter perfection, and the warm goodness is comforting.
We try to limit sweet treats in our house, so they are actual “treats” and not an everyday thing. But I will admit when I bite into one of these homemade low carb lava cakes, it’s hard to resist the next bite, and the next thing I know, it has disappeared. That is why I love baking them in ramekins. Using ramekins gives you an immediate personalized sized keto dessert. There is no risk in overeating because you are entirely in charge of the serving size.
For a few other individual-sized desserts for a keto diet make sure to try my Keto Mug Brownie, Peanut Butter Mug Cake, and Vanilla Mug Cake! You can even get six mug cake recipes on a one page printable with my Free Mug Cake Cheat Sheet.
What You’ll Need
Butter - Be sure to use salted butter to get the right flavor of lava cake.
Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips - This is where you get that deep, incredible chocolate flavor.
Sweetener - I use a blend of xylitol, erythritol, and stevia. It is twice as sweet as sugar so you need less and making your own blend is much cheaper than branded sweeteners.
Pure Vanilla Extract - Or for a mint chocolate cake sub in peppermint extract.
Almond Flour - If you would like to make this keto lava cake nut-free you can try sunflower seed flour in place of the almond flour. It can be subbed in 1:1.
Cocoa - Make sure to choose one with a rich chocolate flavor.
Large Eggs - Eggs are necessary for this recipe.
How To Make Keto Lava Cake
As you have seen, this no-fuss lava cake only requires seven ingredients. But it’s so simple to make it only has three steps! There is no need to overwork yourself for an indulgent dessert.
Step 1: Start off by heating the oven to 375 degrees.
Step 2: In either a saucepan or the microwave, combine and melt the butter, sugar free chocolate, and sweetener together.
After they are done heating, mix in the vanilla, almond flour, and cocoa together. Whisk until smooth and add in the beaten eggs.
Step 3: Grease 4 ramekins really well. Divide the keto lava cake batter evenly among the ramekins and bake for 13 minutes. The center will look wet and jiggly. Remove the keto chocolate lava cakes from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes. Serve in the bakeware or invert them onto a serving plate.
Tips For Baking Keto Lava Cakes
- You need to really grease ramekins or whatever you are baking them in. This is vital if you want to invert them onto a plate. If you are eating them out of the ramekin, then it’s not as big of a deal, but otherwise, they aren’t going to give you that beautiful styling you like.
- Never overbake the cakes. It’s tempting to keep baking them, but if you do, they will not have that molten lava that makes these lava cakes stand out.
- They are best served when eaten right away. That will keep them hot and gooey just the way they are meant to be.
- Serve the keto chocolate lava cakes with some keto vanilla ice cream, nuts, or fresh fruit.
Is It Safe To Eat The Inside of a Lava Cake?
Absolutely! I know the idea of eating an undercooked cake could scare many people. However, this keto chocolate lava cake is perfectly fine to eat. As the cake bakes, the interior of the cake where the lava is will get hot enough to temper the eggs. Due to this fact, they are acceptable to eat without the worry of eating raw eggs because the eggs will be cooked enough that they are safe at this point. So, rest assured this breathtaking dessert is safe and unbelievable delicious.
Can I Make The Batter Ahead of Time?
Yep! If you are planning a dinner party or want to serve these keto lava cakes for the holidays, you can prepare the batter ahead of time. Place the batter in the greased ramekins or whatever you decide to bake them in. Then put them on a baking sheet and cover each one with plastic wrap. Put them in the fridge for 1-2 days. Before baking, you will need to set them on the counter to come to room temperature for 30 minutes - 1 hour before baking. Once they are room temp, go ahead and bake as directed.
Want to use your instant pot? Try this Instant Pot Lava Cakes recipe!
- ½ cup salted butter
- ⅓ cup sugar-free chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon almond flour
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Melt the butter, chocolate, and sweetener in the microwave or on low heat in a saucepan. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, almond flour, and cocoa until smooth. Mix in the beaten eggs.
- Divide between 4 well-greased ramekins or small oven-safe coffee cups. Bake for 13 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Serve in the bakeware or invert onto plates.