This is the ultimate Keto Chocolate Cake recipe. Every bite is fudgy, ultra-rich, and incredible. If you have been looking for a dessert that will impress pretty much anyone, you have finally found it. Delicious chocolate cake topped with a silky chocolate frosting is sure to please. It’s low carb, sugar-free, grain-free, gluten-free, and trim healthy mama friendly too.
There is no shortage of decadent chocolate recipes on my blog because I LOVE chocolate. It’s a lovely way to add flavor and enjoy a treat that is out of this world. This low carb cake has quickly moved up on my list of favorites. Every moist bite leaves me wanting the next even more. Take it to a potluck, and there won’t even be a crumb leftover. That’s how incredible it is.
I have one little secret for you. Now, I will tell you, but don’t tell your kids! It can be our little secret. 🙂 This low carb chocolate cake has two full cups of shredded zucchini in this cake. Can you believe it? Zucchini is a beautiful ingredient to add in some nutrients, but it also helps keep the cake moist. You can set this cake in front of someone who doesn’t eat low carb, and odds are they won’t even be able to tell the difference in this chocolate keto cake recipe either.
How To Make Keto Chocolate Cake
This cake is very easy to make. The hardest part is smelling the aroma of the fresh baking cake and not being able to eat it yet. Take a look at these simple directions.
First Step: Warm up your oven to 350 degrees F. Then line three 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper. Give them a spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
Second Step: Combine the sweetener, blanched almond flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, unsweetened macadamia milk (or unsweetened almond milk), and zucchini in a bowl. Mix on low until the ingredients are combined, then turn up the speed to medium and continue mixing for 2 minutes. Pour the keto chocolate cake batter into the three pans.
Third Step: Bake the cake layers for 30-35 minutes or until the centers are firm when you touch them. Allow the cake layers to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pans and letting cool on a wire rack the rest of the way.
Fourth Step: While the cake is cooling, begin preparing the frosting. Warm up the butter, cocoa, sweetener, and half and half in a saucepan. Whisk continuously until smooth, then remove from the heat and pour in the vanilla.
Assembly: Pour ¼ of the frosting over the bottom cake layer. Then add a layer of cake and ¼ more frosting. Add the top layer of the cake and add the rest of the frosting. Allow some of the icing to drip down the edges, top the keto chocolate cake with some chocolate shavings, and enjoy!
Other Types of Keto Frosting
I really do love the chocolate pan frosting on this cake. If you’ve never made one before it’s like an inexpensive version of a ganache. You use cocoa powder and half and half (half milk and half cream) instead of melting chocolate with heavy cream. It is still smooth, rich, and delicious. I could eat it with just a spoon.
Can you taste the zucchini?
Absolutely not! My kids had no idea there was zucchini. Since the cake it such a dark color you can’t see it or taste it. The zucchini is what makes this cake so moist so trust me and don’t leave it out.
How do you store Chocolate Cake?
You can store the low carb keto chocolate cake in the fridge or on the counter. As long as it’s kept airtight, it will last for several days. I find that it tastes so much better when it’s cool, but try it both ways and see which way you prefer. Making the layer cake in advance, and having it saved for special occasions is easy. This will save you time if you are hosting a party or get-together because you can make it a day or two in advance.
Craving More Delicious Low Carb Cake Recipes?
All of these cakes are yummy and fantastic for pretty much all occasions. Check them out to find some inspiration for your next baking project.
- Keto Lemon Pound Cake
- Keto Berry Cake With Cream Cheese Icing
- Almond Crumb Cake
- Keto Birthday Cake With Chocolate Icing
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about one large or two medium zucchini)
- 1 3/4 cups almond flour
- 1 cup Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet
or my sweetener
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla macadamia milk (or other nut milk)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line three 9-inch round baking pans with parchment and spray with cooking spray.
- Beat all the ingredients on low until mixed. Increase the speed to medium for 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until the center feels firm to the touch. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Heat butter in a small saucepan until melted. Add the cocoa, sweetener, and half and half whisking until smooth. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Drizzle 1/4 of the frosting over the bottom cake layer. Top with the middle layer and 1/4 more of the frosting. Top with the top layer of cake and the rest of the frosting. Gently spread to the edges and let some drip down. Top with chocolate shavings, if desired.