With layers of a brownie batter flavored base, luscious chocolate cheesecake, and a topping of chocolate ganache this no-bake gluten free Keto Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe is any chocolate lover's dream.
When I saw a video for a no-bake brownie batter cheesecake floating around on Facebook I knew it would be the perfect partner to my no-bake cookie dough cheesecake! Brownie batter is just as good to eat from the bowl as cookie dough is. I had to give it a try as a cheesecake too.
And it came out perfect. This keto chocolate cheesecake is rich, decadent, and can even be made as mini cheesecakes for portion control. This easy low carb chocolate cheesecake recipe is also gluten free, grain free, sugar free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
What You Need
Brownie Crust - this is the perfect chocolate cheesecake crust - it tastes just like raw brownie batter!
- Almond Flour - you can sub in sunflower seed flour to make this cheesecake nut free.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - raw cocoa powder works too.
- Sweetener - I use a blend of erythritol, stevia, and xylitol. I give alternatives in the recipe card.
- Butter - I use salted butter to contrast the sweetness.
- Cream Cheese - any brand of cream cheese is fine.
- Gelatin - you want plain unsweetened gelatin and you add it to the crust in its powdered form. It is optional but gives a little boost of protein.
- Vanilla - any vanilla extract is fine in this recipe.
Cheesecake Filling - my no bake cheesecake filling is creamy and rich.
- Dissolved Gelatin - to get the gelatin ready for the cheesecake you simply sprinkle it over cold water and then mix in hot water until it is dissolved.
- Cream Cheese - I use full fat cream cheese but low fat cream cheese can work as well. Just make sure your cream cheese room temperature before mixing.
- Sweetener - if you want to grind your sweetener or use a powdered sweetener you can. I don't find this cheesecake gritty with granular sweetener but using a powdered sweetener can eliminate that possibility entirely.
- Cocoa Powder - make sure to choose one that tastes good to you.
- Heavy Cream - makes a no-bake cheesecake extra creamy.
- Sour Cream - I love how the tang of sour cream balances the creaminess of the cream cheese.
- Vanilla - just a little enhances the other flavors.
- Baking Soda - just a pinch cuts the bitterness from the cocoa powder.
Ganache Topping - how can you have a gluten free chocolate cheesecake without a little melted chocolate topping?
- Sugar Free Chocolate Chips - any chips will work, milk, semisweet, or dark.
- Heavy Cream - heavy whipping cream, light cream, or even half and half work in ganache.
How to Make Keto Chocolate Cheesecake
This no bake chocolate cheesecake has three layers so there are three steps. But each is pretty simple so don't get intimidated.
Step One: Pulse the ingredients for the crust in your food processor. It will look like clumps of dirt.
Pour them into a springform pan and press down to make an even crust. You can do this with your fingers or with an upside-down measuring cup.
Step Two: Process the bloomed (dissolved) gelatin and the other ingredients for the chocolate cream cheese filling in the same food processor (no need to wash it).
Spread the filling on top of the prepared chocolate crust. Chill for at least one hour at this point.
Step Three: Make the ganache. Spread the chocolate ganache gently over the cheesecake filling.
My tip for ganache is just to mix, mix, and mix some more. As you mix it thickens and gets glossy. You are looking for a smooth, thick, glossy texture. Sometimes I make ganache with unsweetened chocolate, sweetener, and cream but this time I kept it simple and just used sugar-free chocolate chips.
How to Make Chocolate Less Bitter
Making the no-bake keto chocolate cheesecake filling chocolaty without being bitter was the key to this recipe. I decided to add a pinch of baking soda and that did the trick!
Using Gelatin in No Bake Cheesecake
Over the years I've finally mastered the art of blooming gelatin to use in cheesecake. At first, I was afraid to add hot water to melt the gelatin. Truth. I thought it would water down the cheesecake. So I'd add less water, not dissolve the gelatin properly, and end up with clumpy cheesecake.
Then I tried just adding the powdered gelatin. This works well for a soft set cheesecake. But if you want a nice firm no-bake cheesecake you need gelatin. And you have to dissolve it. Go ahead and add the hot water. It will be ok. You need it.
How to Make Keto Chocolate Cheesecake in the Food Processor
This is the easiest way to make any cheesecake but especially a low carb cheesecake when you are making all the components from scratch! You can mix up the crust and then make the filling without even washing it!
Just add the crust ingredients and process until they come together in large crumbs. Then press those into your pan and add the filling ingredients. Process again until smooth, scraping the sides as needed.
When I starting working on this low carb keto chocolate cheesecake recipe I used a couple of my low carb recipes for brownies as a beginning point. I left out the eggs and worked on making the batter into more of a crust texture without losing that brownie taste. I think I did a pretty good job!
More Keto Cheesecakes
Keto No-Bake Cheesecake - Looking for a non-chocolate version? You can make this cheesecake with lemon, lime, or vanilla!
Keto Blueberry Cheesecake - I love this dessert with both blueberries baked in and fresh berries on top.
Cannoli Cheesecake - You can't go wrong with a no-bake cheesecake that tastes just like a cannoli.
Salted Caramel Cashew Cheesecake - This is definitely a special occasion dessert with rich salted caramel and plenty of cashews.
Keto Cheesecake Fluff - While not an official cheesecake this tastes like one in only five minutes.
Keto Pumpkin Cheesecake - This one is perfect for the fall and Thanksgiving.
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 tbsp gelatin
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cold water
- 2 tsp gelatin
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 16 oz cream cheese
- ⅔ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup sugar free chocolate chips
- 4 oz heavy cream
- Pulse the ingredients for the brownie batter crust in a food processor until large crumbs form. Press into the bottom of an 8-inch springform pan.
- Put the cold water in a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin on top of the cold water. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add the hot water and stir until dissolved.
- Add the remaining filling ingredients to the food processor. Process until smooth. Add the softened gelatin. Pulse until smooth. Pour on top of the prepared crust.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before adding the ganache.
- Heat the cream to just before the boiling point. Pour over the chocolate. Stir until it is smooth. Pour over the chilled cheesecake and spread to cover the top.
- Chill for at least 2 hours or until firm enough to unmold.
Originally Published July 16, 2018. Revised and Republished March 28, 2021.