With the rich flavors of chocolate and pecans covered with fresh whipped cream, this Chocolate Praline Cake will be the best dessert to grace your table. This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
I LOVE upside down cakes. There is something amazing about putting the topping in first, and then letting the magic happen as it bakes. Cool, flip, and serve.
When Rohnda Sue decided to stop her blog she offered our group of Trim Healthy Mama bloggers the opportunity to share her recipes. I jumped at the chance to post her Chocolate Praline Cake.
If you haven't noticed I'm a bit of a praline fiend. I have no less than 5 praline themed recipes already.
Pecan Praline Low Carb Ice Cream
and the classic Pecan Pralines
But, alas, no praline cake! I had to remedy that situation.
And here is Rohnda:
How many of you have ever made that Pillsbury recipe? The one that used the devils food cake mix baked in a caramel pecan sauce and topped with whipped cream… Yeah, that was good! And, I am not gonna lie, there is nothing like sugar to give it that chewy caramel topping. But this is the Chocolate Praline cake that we eat and love and while it is not quite chewy caramel, it taste fantastic without sluggish sugar crash afterwards so we are calling it a win!
This recipe makes one, 9 inch round cake. If you are serving a lot of people or would like a fancier presentation, double the recipe to make two 9 inch cakes and layer them on top of one another, being sure to add a layer of whipped cream to the middle. Also, my Candied Pecans make a lovely topping if you are really going for “WOW”.
Like what you see? Follow me on Facebook! Love this recipe? Leave a comment & 5-star rating right here! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by getting email updates!
- ¼ cup sugar-free sweetener (2:1 for sugar) Truvia or Gentle Sweet or my sweetener
- ½ teaspoon molasses
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅛ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup almond milk or half & half
- ⅓ cup sugar-free sweetener (2:1 for sugar) Truvia or Gentle Sweet or my sweetener
- ⅛ teaspoon pure stevia powder
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup ground flax
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, sweetener, and molasses. Heat just until bubbly then pour in heavy whipping cream and remove from heat. Stir. Pour mixture into a 9 inch round cake pan. Spread chopped pecans evenly over mixture and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat together the cake ingredients together until well blended. Allow to sit for a few minutes and then stir again. Gently spoon batter over pecans mixture in the pan.
- Bake for 30 min or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Allow to rest for 5 minutes and then invert cake onto a serving plate or tray.
- Whisk ½ cup heavy cream until thickened. Add 1 tablespoon sweetener and ½ teaspoon vanilla. Spread onto cooled cake just before serving. Garnish with additional pecans and chocolate shavings if desired.
To sub in Swerve use 1.5 to 2 times the amount of sweetener called for.
Debbie L. says
My diet has to be low carb and low fat. Any ideas on the best way to lighten up the fat content without sacrificing the flavor and consistency.
I don't think you will get this cake into the low-fat range. You need the butter and cream in the topping. You could try applesauce instead of butter in the cake. And use just egg whites (probably 6). You could also cut bake on the number of nuts.
Omg! This sounds and looks scrumptious I’m going to make it today I can hardy wait lol. Ty
Is it ok to substitute the ground flax for 1/4 cup of almond flour or would I mess up the cake
I love your recipe and can’t wait to make this one
Yes, it should be fine to use additional almond flour instead of the flax.
HI how exactly do you calculate the nutritional facts such as carbs, fat, etc?
I use a nutrition calculator built into my recipe plugin. If it's a specialty ingredient I add it manually. I also manually subtract the sugar alcohol (sweeteners) because otherwise the carb count is wrong.
Wow, this cake looks so delicious!
It’s okay to have molasses on the Keto woe?
This is such a small amount it adds less than .5 carb per serving. It is used for flavor, not as a sweetener. If you prefer to omit it that is ok too.
Are the nutritional facts for a slice or the whole cake? I didn’t see the serving size. Maybe I missed it? Looking forward to making this!!! Thanks
Just one slice, unfortunately. I have this set as 12 slices but you can certainly make them a little bigger if you want. Wouldn't it be nice if the whole cake was one serving? 😉
Upside down cakes are the best! This one sound right up my alley!
Renee Goerger says
This is a cake I have to make right away!!! You're speaking my language with this keto chocolate praline cake! Thanks for the recipe!