My children really enjoyed this Easy Mexican Taco Casserole Recipe. The ten-year-old boy had thirds. A couple of the children put it into taco shells and ate it that way but most of us topped with sour cream and avocado and dug right in.
It was a little juicy but I didn’t take the time to really drain the meat properly since ground turkey isn’t greasy. We didn’t mind. And the few portions of leftovers we had stayed moist. There is nothing worse than dried out leftovers.
I used Nancy’s Organic Lowfat Cottage Cheese in this casserole. I love using Nancy’s Cottage Cheese because it is high is protein, naturally gluten free, and contains live probiotics.
I am the only one in my house who eats cottage cheese plain but the rest of family eats it in casseroles, cheesecake, and other baked goods. I just don’t mention the cottage cheese until after they’ve tried the recipe and liked it. I will convert them to love cottage cheese as much as I do. Nancy’s Cottage Cheese has a nice, slightly tart flavor because of the live probiotics.
The best part about this Easy Mexican Taco Casserole Recipe casserole is that the entire hands-on time is only about 5 minutes and it has only 5 ingredients.
Step 1: Brown the meat in the oven in the casserole dish. Chop it up and drain the cooking liquid.
Step 2: Cover it with the creamy sauce.
Step 3: Sprinkle with cheese.
Step 4: Bake until hot and bubbly.
Easy Mexican Taco Casserole Recipe – Low Carb, Grain & Gluten Free, THM S
Top with your favorite taco toppings and serve!
This Easy Mexican Taco Casserole Recipe has only 5 ingredients and a minimal hands-on time. It is low carb, keto, gluten and grain free, and a THM S.
- 1.5 - 2 lb ground turkey or beef
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa of choice
- 16 oz Nancy's Organic Lowfat Cottage Cheese
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix the ground meat and taco seasoning in a large casserole dish. Mine is 11 x 13. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the cottage cheese, salsa, and 1 cup of the cheese. Set aside.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven and carefully drain the cooking liquid from the meat. Break up the meat into small pieces. A potato masher works great for this. Spread the cottage cheese and salsa mixture on top of the meat. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Return the casserole to the oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until the meat is cooked thoroughly and the cheese is hot and bubbly.
If your salsa or cottage cheese is very wet drain it a bit in a fine mesh strainer before making the sauce.