This easy Keto Taco Casserole recipe really hits the spot. With only 5 ingredients and a 5 minute prep time, it is a lifesaver on busy weeknights. My taco casserole recipe is great for a keto or low carb diet. It is also gluten-free, grain-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
My children really enjoyed this easy low carb taco casserole recipe. The ten-year-old boy had thirds. A couple of the children put it into taco shells and ate it that way but most of us topped with sour cream and avocado and dug right in.
Since I first made this dish we've had it dozens of times and a friend even made it for us after my 5th baby was born! Everyone who has tried it loves it whether they are on a keto diet or not.
- Ground Meat - I typically use ground turkey but ground beef or chicken will work as well.
- Salsa - make sure to choose one without added sugar. If it is liquidy drain it before adding it.
- Cottage Cheese - this is my secret ingredient for added protein and a creamy texture.
- Cheddar Cheese - you can use any type of shredded cheese that goes well with Mexican food.
- Taco Seasoning - I make my own taco seasoning to avoid added ingredients like cornstarch and sugar.
Is Cottage Cheese Low Carb or Keto?
Yes. You can use cottage cheese while eating low carb or keto. Eating an entire tub of cottage cheese is not keto but using 2 cups divided by 6 servings is totally fine. Higher fat cottage cheese has lower carbs so you can choose a cottage cheese that is full fat for a keto casserole.
I used Nancy's Organic Lowfat Cottage Cheese in this keto casserole. One of the reasons I love using cottage cheese is because it is high in protein. This one is also naturally gluten free and contains live probiotics.
In my house, I am the only one who eats cottage cheese plain but the rest of my family eats it in casseroles, cheesecake, and other baked goods. I just don't mention the cottage cheese until after they've tried the recipe and liked it.
How to make Keto Taco Casserole
The best part about this casserole recipe is that the entire hands-on time is only about 5 minutes and it has only 5 ingredients. I make my taco casserole with ground turkey but ground beef or chicken would work too.
First Step: Spray a casserole dish with olive oil or cooking spray. Brown the meat in the oven in the casserole dish. Next, break it up and drain the cooking liquid. I chop it right in the casserole dish with a potato masher.
Expert Tip: Yes, I just cook the ground turkey right in the casserole dish in the oven! This saves on having a frying pan to wash by cooking the meat in the oven instead of browning it in a frying pan.
Second Step: Cover it with the creamy cottage cheese sauce. I promise the end result will not taste like cottage cheese!
Expert Tip: if you really don't want to use cottage cheese you can sub in half softened cream cheese and half sour cream.
Third Step: Next, sprinkle the keto taco casserole with cheese. Any tip of shredded cheese will work, cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a blend.
Fourth Step: Finally, bake the low carb taco casserole until hot and bubbly. Since you already cooked the meat as soon as the casserole is hot you can serve it.
Tips for Taco Casserole
My taco casserole was a little juicy but I didn't take the time to really drain the meat properly since ground turkey isn't greasy. We didn't mind. And the few portions of leftovers we had stayed moist. There is nothing worse than dried out leftovers. We make ground turkey tacos all the time. My guests normally don't even realize it is ground turkey vs ground beef.
If you drain the meat thoroughly AND drain the excess liquid from your salsa your casserole will not be so moist.
Can I Make This in a Slow Cooker or Instant Pot?
Yes. Either will work. To make in a slow cooker simply cook the meat, drain the liquid, and then add the other ingredients. For an instant pot recipe, you can brown the meat on the saute setting, drain any cooking liquid, and then add the other ingredients.
What to serve with Keto Taco Casserole
Top with your favorite taco toppings and serve!
- Sour Cream - we use sour cream by the bucket in my house. A Costco sized container only lasts about a week.
- Avocados - most of us prefer sliced avocados to guacamole. We always have some on the counter in various stages of ripening. They get eaten as quickly as they ripen in my house.
- Diced Tomatoes - if you love tomatoes feel free to add a few fresh ones on top of this.
- Lettuce - you can serve this with shredded lettuce under or on top.
- Cilantro - if you are a cilantro fan sprinkling some of the top adds color and flavor.
Want to try a Mexican casserole with a cornbread base? Check out this recipe from my friend Kim.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix the ground meat and taco seasoning in a large greased casserole dish. Mine is 11 x 13. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the cottage cheese, salsa, and 1 cup of the cheese. Set aside.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven and carefully drain the cooking liquid from the meat. Break up the meat into small pieces. A potato masher works great for this. Spread the cottage cheese and salsa mixture on top of the meat. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Return the casserole to the oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until the meat is cooked thoroughly and the cheese is hot and bubbly.
Love Mexican food? Try these low carb keto recipes next:
Originally Published February 16, 2017. Revised and Republished September 3, 2020.
Get the Joy Filled Eats Keto eBook Bundle!
Over 100 easy recipes w/photos & nutrition info.