My easy keto Mexican Chicken Casserole is excellent in a low carb tortilla, in crisp lettuce wraps, in cheese taco shells, or on a bed of cauliflower rice. Top with a dollop of sour cream and some cilantro for the perfect main dish. This easy chicken casserole recipe is low carb, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, Trim Healthy Mama, and family friendly.
It's been a while since I added a new 5 ingredient, 5-minute prep dinner entree to my repertoire. After shredding a few chicken breasts I couldn't decide what to do with the shredded chicken for dinner. My fallback is always Mexican. My kids love making their own tacos no matter what type of meat I have prepared. They scoop some into a tortilla or taco shell, add their favorite toppings, and gobble it up.
With just 5 ingredients and only 5 minutes of prep time, this low carb keto Mexican chicken is a cinch to whip up. It also only needs to bake for 20 minutes. If you have shredded chicken ready to use you can have a complete nutritious low carb dinner on the table in under 30 minutes.
Some of our other favorite Mexican dishes are Baked Chicken Fajitas, Instant Pot Carnitas, Keto Chile Relleno Casserole, Taco Zucchini Boats, and Crockpot Chicken Tacos. There are enough choices that you could make 2 or 3 of my Mexican easy keto recipes and have a whole themed buffet.
How to serve Mexican Chicken Casserole
The first night we ate this Mexican Chicken Casserole I just ate mine with a fork and a side salad. But when I was looking at the leftovers the next night I decided to whip up some cheese taco shells for a fun option. These are really easy to make but do take a little practice. My first few were not nearly as pretty as the ones in the photos.
Simply, heat a frying pan and add some shredded cheddar cheese into the center in a circle. Cook over medium until the cheese is melted and browned. Flip carefully. Cook for another minute. Transfer to some random kitchen item you can use to make it cool into a taco shape. I used a large stainless steel pastry scraper that has a rounded end. The end almost looks like the mold for a cannoli.
How To Make Keto Mexican Chicken Casserole
This low carb Mexican chicken casserole is SO simple to make, and it only takes 25 minutes and 5 ingredients to whip up a batch. Take a peek at these simple steps:
First Step: Heat up the oven to 400 degrees. Then grease an 8x8 baking dish.
Second Step: Mix together the chicken, cream cheese, salsa, 4 ounces of the cheddar cheese, and ½ teaspoon of ground chipotle pepper. Once combined well, pour it into the prepared casserole dish. Add the rest of the cheese to the top and add the ground chipotle pepper to the top.
Third Step: Bake the casserole for 20 minutes or until it’s hot and bubbly. Serve hot and enjoy!
What Kind Of Chicken Should I Use?
You can use any chicken you want as long as it’s cooked and shredded. Rotisserie chicken is a fantastic option. You just need to take the meat off the bone and shred it with a couple of forks. Another idea is to cook chicken breasts or thighs to your liking and add it to the casserole. I will bake the chicken in the casserole dish first, remove it and shred it, mix it with the other ingredients, and then add it right back to the same baking dish! Either way will work well.
What is Ground Chipotle Pepper?
The special ingredient in this recipe is Ground Chipotle Pepper. It adds smokiness and heat. I first tasted chipotle at least a dozen years ago at my local Trader Joe's. They were making quesadillas with chipotle salsa, canned chicken, and cheese. I took home all the ingredients after one bite of that sample and it became one of our favorite quick meals.
I took the same flavors of those quesadillas and turned them into an easy Mexican chicken casserole.
Can I Use Taco Seasoning?
My Easy Mexican Chicken Casserole with Chipotle has a bit of a kick. It wasn't too spicy for my kids but if yours are sensitive to heat you can cut back on the chipotle seasoning or use a homemade taco seasoning or keto fajita seasoning instead. You can even mix in my keto enchilada sauce.
Low Carb Mexican Chicken Variations
If you are in the mood for something different, consider adding in a few other ingredients. It’s always fun to try out new variations of the same recipes. Here are some ideas to consider next time you make this keto Mexican chicken casserole.
- Onions - Chop up some onions and toss them in with the casserole ingredients. If you love onions, then they are a great option to add.
- Olives - If you are a huge olive fan, then toss in a few diced black olives! You can also slice them or keep them whole. Both ways work great.
- Jalapeno - Kick up the heat a little bit by adding some chopped peppers. Be sure to remove the seeds before adding them to the casserole. Or mix a can of green chiles into the chicken mixture.
- Cheese - We usually use cheddar cheese, but you can also add in other varieties if you want. Pepper Jack, Colby, and mozzarella are all great options to consider.
- Beans & Corn - If you are doing Trim Healthy Mama you can add a can of black beans and a garnish amount of corn. Or serve in corn tortillas for a healthy crossover.
- Tortilla Chips - Crushed tortilla chips are a great addition. Just sprinkle some on top of this creamy chicken casserole after baking or on individual servings. You can easily make low carb chips by baking low carb tortillas until they are crispy.
Best Toppings For Keto Mexican Chicken
Toppings always make everything even more delicious! Here are a few toppings that I think you will love with this taco casserole.
- Lettuce - Add some nutrients and color to your plate by sprinkling on some shredded lettuce. Opt for dark leafy varieties to get the most nutrients.
- Tomatoes - Dice up some tomatoes or use some cherry or grape tomatoes to add some extra flavor.
- Sour Cream - A dollop of sour cream is a must when eating anything Mexican inspired. It’s so good and enhances the dish.
- Green Onions - If you love to add green onions to all your meals, be sure to add them to this one too. They will give you lots of colors, and they taste great too.
- Cilantro - If you are a person who is a fan of cilantro, then you already know how good it tastes on melted cheese and juicy meats. Try it on this casserole dish for a pleasant surprise.
- Crushed Keto Tortilla Chips - These are great on top of a salad using this chicken. Pork rinds work too!
Can I Double this Recipe?
Certainly! This Mexican chicken casserole is a huge crowd-pleaser. All you need to do is multiply the ingredients by the number of people you are feeding. My recipe will feed 8 people easily. You may need to work in batches if you are making more than double just so you don’t overcrowd your oven. You could consider keeping it warm by placing it into a roasting pan or slow cooker. Don’t turn the heat up very high; you just want to keep it warm while the guests are filling their plates. This is fantastic for potlucks and get-togethers.
- Preheat oven to 400. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Combine the chicken, cream cheese, salsa, half the shredded cheese, and ½ tsp ground chipotle pepper. Mix well. Put in the prepared casserole dish. Top with the remaining cheese and sprinkle on the ground chipotle pepper.
- Bake for 20 min or until hot and bubbly.
Originally Published April 20, 2018. Revised and Republished June 15, 2020.
Get the Joy Filled Eats Keto eBook Bundle!
Over 100 easy recipes w/photos & nutrition info.