Spicy Chicken Empanadas with Cilantro Sour Cream – Low Carb, Keto, Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, THM S
I like to make a few different appetizers over the week before a party and freeze them so I can just pop them in the oven. These chicken empanadas freeze really well. You can make a big batch a few weeks ahead and just reheat in the oven as needed. It’s a little more work than buying boxed frozen appetizers but they are much healthier and much tastier.
This recipe is a great addition to your football playoff party. Serving a variety of appetizers is one of our favorite ways to entertain. I make my appetizers a day ahead and just reheat and serve. My guests can help themselves and I can hang out with them and enjoy the game. Even when we aren’t entertaining for a football game my family likes to have a casual dinner and eat finger foods at the same time.
I was able to find El Yucateco® hot sauces easily at my local Walmart. They were right in the Hispanic Foods section of the grocery department.
El Yucateco® is the #1 consumer choice authentic habanero hot sauce. It is made from hand-picked habaneros from their own fields. El Yucateco® started out as a small family business almost 50 years ago concentrating on handcrafting their recipes to deliver the perfect amount of heat. It is a great brand for everyday life. The bottles are the perfect size to take with you in your purse or pocket.
I chose the El Yucateco® Red Habanero Hot Sauce for this recipe. It has a little more heat than regular hot sauce but has less vinegar so the flavor of the peppers shines through. You can try any of the El Yucateco® hot sauces in this recipe. The Green Habanero sauce is a little spicier than the red sauce and goes well with lighter foods. The Black Label sauce has a nice smokiness to it. If you feeling brave go ahead and use the XXX Habanero sauce in this recipe.
Spicy Chicken Empanadas with Cilantro Sour Cream – Low Carb, Grain Free, THM S
16 oz mozzarella, shredded or cubed
4 oz cream cheese
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup ground golden flax
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
Spicy Chicken Filling:
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2-4 tbsp El Yucateco® Red Habanero Hot Sauce ***
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
*** I suggest starting with 2 tablespoons and adding more as desired. This hot sauce has an excellent flavor and a little goes a long way.
Cilantro Sour Cream:
16 oz sour cream
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Spicy Chicken Empanadas with Cilantro Sour Cream are perfect to serve during football playoffs. With golden dough and a cheesy, spicy filling they are the ideal game food.
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2-4 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 16 oz sour cream
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Put mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave one minute. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds. Stir. At this point, all the cheese should be melted. Microwave 30 more seconds until uniform and gloopy (it should look like cheese fondue at this point if it doesn’t keep microwaving in 30-second increments). Mix in the eggs and other ingredients. You will need to dump it onto wax paper and knead it by hand to thoroughly incorporate the ingredients or you can do this in a food processor with the dough blade.
- Stir together the filling ingredients.
- Roll out the dough in between two pieces of parchment paper. Cut 14 four inch circles, rerolling the scraps as necessary until all the dough is used up. I used an upside down plastic container. Divide the filling between the dough circles. Fold the dough over the filling and press the edges together. Optional: use a fork to make little lines around the edge.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- To make the Cilantro Sour Cream: stir together all the ingredients. Serve with the empanadas.