If you have been on the hunt for an incredible easy crockpot chicken tacos recipe, you have hit the jackpot. Juicy shredded chicken that’s tender, full of flavor, looks delicious and can be used in many other dishes. The best part is that the slow cooker does the work for you!
Crockpot Chicken Tacos – Low Carb, Keto, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, THM S
If you are anything like me, feeding your family healthy wholesome food is so important! Even though we try to eat healthy most of the time, I don’t want to give up flavor to do so. Thankfully, I love to get creative in the kitchen and whip out some healthy, tasty meals. This slow cooker taco chicken recipe, just happens to be the best of both worlds.
You will be happy to know that this is a super easy kid-friendly meal that doesn’t take a ton of effort. It’s nice to toss the ingredients in the slow cooker and go about my day, while it cooks! A crockpot is still one of the best inventions ever.
5 Ingredient Crockpot Chicken Tacos
Next time you head to the market, don’t forget to pick up these items so you can make these crockpot shredded chicken tacos. You are going to love them!
- Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Broth
- Cream Cheese – we love crockpot chicken tacos with cream cheese – it makes them rich and creamy
- Taco Seasoning – Try my homemade taco seasoning mix!
- Toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, avocado, chopped tomatoes or anything else you like.
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Step One: Cook the chicken breasts with broth in the slow cooker.
Step Two: Remove cooked chicken from crockpot and place in a bowl. Save 1/2 cup of the liquid in the slow cooker and pour out the rest — Cook the cream cheese, fluid, salsa and taco seasoning in the crockpot.
Step Three: After cream cheese has melted add in the shredded chicken and stir.
That is all you need to do to make these delicious healthy slow cooker chicken tacos! No sweat, blood, or tears required.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos Variations
One of the things I love the most about Mexican food is you can always adjust the ingredients. You don’t have to make it the same way every time, and you can introduce new elements of flavor. Try out a few of these optional ideas:
- Jalapenos – You can use them as a topping or chop some up and add them to the cream cheese mixture. They add some heat to the dish.
- Tomatoes – Dice up a few tomatoes and cook them with the cream cheese. Can you ever have tacos without tomatoes?
- Onions – Grill some onions and add them to the chicken. It gives the mix a punch of flavor!
- Lime – Just before serving, squirt a little bit of fresh lime juice on top of the taco. The lime takes it to the next level!
How Do You Know When Chicken Is Done?
The chicken has cooked all the way once it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. I don’t recommend cooking it longer than that, or it will not be as juicy, and that is what makes it taste so amazing.
Do I Have To Use Chicken Breasts?
No, you do not have to use chicken breasts when you make these tacos. If you don’t have chicken breasts on hand or simply don’t prefer them, that is okay. Boneless skinless chicken thighs or regular chicken thighs are a great option that you can use. I prefer removing the skin and using just the meat. You will follow the same instructions, except you will need to remove the chicken from the bones before shredding if you aren’t using boneless chicken.
Can I Make Chicken Tacos For A Crowd?
Yes, of course, you can make this taco chicken recipe for a crowd! Taco bars are a great party option. Just make as many batches as you need and serve. You can serve the shredded chicken tacos right out of the slow cooker if you need to. Or you can make the meat mixture ahead of time and reheat it right before serving.
How Do I Serve Crockpot Chicken Tacos?
The options are seriously endless when it comes to this crockpot chicken tacos recipe! Some of our favorite ideas to try are:
- Tortilla – Use your favorite low carb tortilla and wrap it up! So delicious and goes so good with this mixture.
- Chips – Make nachos with some gluten-free tortilla chips. This makes a wonderful lunch idea or easy supper.
- Lettuce – You can add some of the chicken mixture on a piece of lettuce and serve it as a wrap — so yummy and even more nutrients for you.
- Bowl – I’m not even joking when I tell you that this shredded chicken recipe is so good, you don’t even have to serve it on anything. Just add it to a bowl with toppings, and you are all set.
- Keto Cheese Taco Shells
Looking for more delicious low carb Mexican dishes? Try some of these:
- Put the chicken breasts and chicken broth in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2-3 hours. Check that the chicken is at least 160 degrees with a meat thermometer.
- Remove the chicken to a large bowl. Save 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid and discard the rest. Add the reserved cooking liquid and the cream cheese, salsa, and taco seasoning to the crock pot. Turn to high. Whisk until the cream cheese has melted.
- Shred the chicken. Add back to the sauce in the crockpot. Serve with optional toppings.