Keeping prepared taco meat in the freezer at all times has made my life as a mom so much easier. On nights I don’t feel like cooking I can just heat up some taco meat and set out the fixings. It doesn’t hurt that my kids jump for joy when they hear we are having tacos.
This has been one of my go to easy dinners for the last few years. I buy a huge pack of ground turkey from Costco (about 6 pounds) and cook it all at once and season for tacos. When it is done I divide it into dinner size portions. For taco night we use about 1 pound of meat for 2 adults and 3 kids (the 4th prefers her tacos meatless). I use some that night for taco night and freeze the rest.
My husband and I normally make big taco salad but occasionally we use low carb tortillas. Our favorite fixins are cheddar cheese, sour cream, salsa, chunks of avocado or guacamole, lettuce, tomato, and cilantro.
It looks like a lot of ingredients but all of these spices are normal ones you probably have already. You can get most of them at the grocery store for about $1 a bottle.
Scroll down slowly for a printable version of this recipe.
Ingredients:6-7 pounds ground turkey or beef (or a combination)
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp minced dried garlic
1 tbsp minced dried onion
1 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (or more if you like things spicy)
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Cook the ground meat on medium heat in a large pot with a lid. Every 5-10 min stir the meat and mash it up. I use a potato masher for this and it worked really well. Once all the meat is browned all the seasonings. Stir until well mixed. If you are using some immediately go ahead and have dinner.
Cool the remaining meat to room temperature and divide into freezer safe bags or containers. Freeze until needed.
Subscribe to email updates on the right of this page.
This freezer taco meat is perfect to keep on hand for nights you don't feel like cooking!
- 6-7 pounds ground turkey or beef or a combination
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp minced dried garlic
- 1 tbsp minced dried onion
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper or more if you like things spicy
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Cook the ground meat on medium heat in a large pot with a lid. Every 5-10 min stir the meat and mash it up. I use a potato masher for this and it worked really well. Once all the meat is browned all the seasonings. Stir until well mixed. If you are using some immediately go ahead and have dinner.
- Cool the remaining meat to room temperature and divide into freezer safe bags or containers. I freeze in one pound portions. That is enough for my family of 6 for dinner because we use tons of taco toppings like avocado, salsa, sour cream. and cheddar on taco night. Freeze until needed.