Fajita chicken, onions, and peppers baked in a creamy cheese sauce? This Chicken Fajita Casserole may be my favorite casserole yet. It is perfect with a dollop of sour cream and avocado on top and paired with a fresh green salad.
This easy chicken casserole recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
I love Mexican food. It is generally my birthday dinner request. My favorite Mexican restaurant is Jose Tejas in Woodbridge, NJ. There is always a line out the door so you know the food is good. And the margaritas are even better.
But it can be difficult to get out to restaurants with our five kids and difficult to find a babysitter to get out without them. And I admit I crave fajitas more than once a year. Since most of my kids love Mexican food too we add it into the dinner rotation at least a few times a month. Most of the time we just do tacos and taco salad but this chicken fajita bake is a welcome step up from a typical Taco Tuesday. Once you try my gluten free keto fajita chicken casserole I guarantee you will want to make it again and again.
Ingredients for Easy Chicken Fajitas Casserole:
1. Chicken Thighs - I prefer thighs in this recipe but chicken breasts work too.
2. Onions - Any variety of onions are fine.
3. Peppers - Sweet bell peppers are the best choice for fajitas.
4. Cream Cheese - Adding cream cheese makes a delicious creamy sauce. It's definitely not traditional but it is SO good. Trust me on this.
5. Fajita Seasoning - It is so easy to make your own! Click to learn to make my homemade fajita seasoning: Keto Fajita Seasoning.
6. Shredded Cheese - Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a Mexican blend are all good choices.
That's it! Just 6 ingredients to a delicious dinner!
How to Make Easy Chicken Fajita Casserole
This does have a few steps but most of the time it is hands-off. With just 6 ingredients you can make a fabulous casserole the whole family will love.
You will only be actively cooking, chopping, and mixing for about 20 minutes.
Step One: Pop the chicken into the oven to bake.
Step Two: While the chicken is baking saute the veggies.
Expert Tip: Cooking the vegetables in a skillet helps give this casserole a true fajita flavor. Adding raw vegetables and baking does not yield the same result. If you'd like to make this entirely on the oven you can roast the onions and peppers on a baking sheet instead of pan-frying them.
Step Three: Shred the chicken. Then combine the hot shredded chicken with the veggies, cream cheese, and seasonings.
Expert Tip: Boneless skinless chicken thighs shred easily but if you choose to use boneless skinless chicken breasts instead it may be easier to just chop them.
Step Four: Put the fajita chicken in the casserole dish, top with cheese, and bake until bubbly and golden. Serve this chicken fajita bake with a salad or your favorite fajita toppings!
Can I use chicken breasts?
Yes! Just bake the onions and peppers for 10 minutes before adding strips of raw chicken breasts or they can dry out.
What to serve with Easy Chicken Fajita Casserole?
We serve this with taco fixings like sour cream, keto salsa, keto guacamole, and a green salad on the side. If you have low carb tortillas you love you can scoop this into those. You can also serve it like a fajita salad right on a bed of lettuce.
Sometimes I make rice and black beans and put them on the side for my kids to make fajita bowls. Growing children need a lot of healthy carbs. And having those on the side helps fill out the meal and stick to our grocery budget. Cauliflower rice is a good choice for a taco bowl base on a low carb keto diet.
Cutting bake on dairy and still want fajitas? Try these Baked Chicken Fajitas instead.
When I can't get out to a Mexican restaurant for an authentic fajita this Easy Chicken Fajita Bake fills my craving and I guarantee it will satisfy yours.
- Preheat oven to 350. Put the chicken in the casserole dish you will be using for this dish. Cover with foil and bake until cooked to 160 degrees, about 30-35 min. Cool for a few minutes and then shred or chop into bite-sized pieces. Drain any cooking liquid from the casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan coated with cooking spray, cook the pepper and onion over medium-low heat until they are golden and soft. I let mine caramelize the entire time the chicken was in the oven. I just left the heat between low and medium and popped into the kitchen to give them a stir every 5-10 min. Cool until warm.
- In a large bowl mix the cream cheese, half of the shredded cheddar, and the fajita seasoning. Add the chopped chicken and cooked onion and pepper. Put back into the same casserole dish you cooked the chicken in. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 min until hot and bubbly.
Originally Published April 14, 2016. Revised and Republished August 30, 2021.