Fajita chicken, onions, and peppers baked in a creamy cheese sauce? This Easy Chicken Fajita Casserole may be my favorite casserole yet. It is perfect with a dollop of sour cream and avocado on top and paired with a fresh green salad.
Easy Chicken Fajita Casserole – Low Carb, Keto, THM S
Ingredients for Easy Chicken Fajitas Casserole:
How to Make Easy Chicken Fajita Casserole
You will only be actively cooking, chopping, and mixing for about 20 minutes. Pop the chicken in to bake. And while it’s baking saute the veggies. Cooking the vegetables in a skillet helps give this casserole a true fajita flavor. Adding raw vegetables and baking does not yield the same result.
Shred the chicken. Then combine the hot shredded chicken with the veggies, cream cheese, and seasonings.
Put bake in the casserole dish, top with cheese, and bake until bubbly and golden. Serve this chicken fajita bake with a salad or your favorite fajita toppings!
I frequently buy the fajita seasoning from Penzey’s Spices but you can easily make your own fajita seasoning with this recipe.
What to serve with Easy Chicken Fajita Casserole?
We serve this with taco fixings like sour cream and my Easy Guacamole and a green salad on the side. If you have low carb tortillas you love you can scoop this into those. You can also serve it as a fajita salad right on a bed of lettuce.
Sometimes I make rice and black beans and put them on the side for my kids to make fajita bowls. Growing children need a lot of healthy carbs. And having those on the side helps fill out the meal and stick to our grocery budget.
When I can’t get out to Jose Tejas for an authentic fajita this Easy Chicken Fajita Bake fills my craving and I guarantee it will satisfy yours.
- 10 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 1 red pepper seeded and sliced into small strips
- 1 large onion peeled and sliced into small strips
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 8 oz shredded cheddar
- 1.5 tbsp fajita seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350. Put chicken in the casserole dish you will be using for this dish. Cover with foil and bake until cooked to 160 degrees, about 30-40 min. Cool for a few minutes and then shred or chop into bite-sized pieces. Drain any cooking liquid from the casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan coated with cooking spray, cook the pepper and onion over medium-low heat until they are golden and soft. I let mine caramelize the entire time the chicken was in the oven. I just left the heat between low and medium and popped into the kitchen to give them a stir every 5-10 min. Cool until warm.
- In a large bowl mix the cream cheese, half of the shredded cheddar, and the fajita seasoning. Add the chopped chicken and cooked onion and pepper. Put back into the same casserole dish you cooked the chicken in. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese. You can refrigerate the casserole for a day or two at this point. I prepped it in the morning and then just popped it in the oven before dinner.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 min until hot and bubbly.