Learn how to make the best Keto Salsa with just 5 ingredients! It’s super easy and is great for all your summer barbecues and gatherings. This homemade low carb salsa recipe tastes better and is much healthier than regular store-bought. Plus, it’s gluten-free, and grain-free too.
I’m not going to lie; when you sit a bowl of homemade salsa in front of me, it’s pretty hard to stop eating! Who can resist such a yummy treat? I love that this recipe for keto salsa is easy, made with fresh ingredients, and tastes great.
Because you make it fresh, you don’t have to worry about a bunch of preservatives, added sugar, or other weird ingredients you can’t pronounce. Also, this keto salsa recipe makes a large enough batch you can feed your family and possibly even still have some leftovers.
Now it’s time to get to the good stuff so you can be enjoying your new favorite salsa without much fuss! These are the ingredients you will need to throw together a batch:
- Tomatoes - The main ingredient is the chopped tomatoes, naturally! They are an excellent source of potassium, vitamin K, folate and are an antioxidant too.
- Onion - I like to chop the onions up finely, so you don’t end up with large chunks when you are eating the keto salsa. They provide you with vitamin B6, calcium, folate, potassium, and vitamin C.
- Cilantro - Anyone who loves cilantro is going to love the amount in this recipe. It’s not too overpowering, but you can certainly taste it. If you aren’t a fan of cilantro, you can swap it for fresh parsley or oregano.
- Garlic - I like to use cloves of garlic, but you can always add more or less if you want. It happens to be a super healthy ingredient as well and gives you some much-needed vitamin B, selenium, iron, potassium, and more.
- Salt - We like around 1 teaspoon salt for our salsa, but you can increase or decrease that amount if desired.
- Lime Juice - The key is using freshly squeezed lime juice. It adds some zesty flavor to counteract the acid in the tomatoes. It’s so delicious! You could also use lemon juice in its place.
How To Make Keto Salsa
Mix together the tomatoes, onions, cilantro, garlic, and salt together in a bowl. Allow the ingredients to sit for 5 minutes, then drain off any extra liquid.
Drizzle in lime juice and give it a quick stir. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Keto Salsa Variations
In the mood for hot salsa? No problem! Toss in 1 or 2 jalapenos and a dash of cayenne pepper.
Out of white onions? That’s no biggie; you can use red or yellow onions instead.
You can add any color of bell pepper to add some extra crunch to the salsa.
If you are craving something sweet, you can add a small amount of your favorite fruits like strawberries, peaches, or pineapple. Just be sure to add a small amount, so you don’t end up with too many carbs.
What Do I Serve With Fresh Tomato Salsa?
While you may think you are going to miss traditional tortilla chips, I think you will be surprised how many tasty suggestions there are for dippers on a keto diet! Try dipping your salsa with any of these keto friendly ideas:
- Pork Rinds - They are crunchy and will give you a similar texture to tortilla chips.
- Bell Peppers - Cut bell peppers into large strips or use mini bell peppers to scoop it.
- Low Carb Crackers - Try my Keto Cheese Crackers or any of your favorite low carb crackers in this salsa. It’s so good!
- Low Carb Tortilla Chips - You can make easy low carb tortilla chips in minutes! Simply brush low carb tortillas with avocado or olive oil and heat in the air fryer or oven at 375 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until they reach desired crispiness. Sprinkle with a little salt and serve.
- Cucumbers - They are fresh and healthy, plus they are a pretty delicious food to dip into salsa. Try it and see for yourself.
- Celery - If you are craving a nice crunch, try out some fresh celery. It’s so good, and all you have to do is wash and cut it, so minimal prep work.
Do I Have To Use Fresh Tomatoes?
Whenever possible, I recommend using fresh tomatoes. When they are in season, you are going to get the most scrumptious flavors.
However, if they aren’t in season, you could use canned tomatoes instead. They will be even juicier, so be sure to drain the juice so your salsa isn’t too watered down.
Does The Salsa Have To Be Chunky?
Nope, if you prefer salsa that is more smooth, you can toss the ingredients in a food processor or blender. This will give you a smoother and more liquid salsa. You can even thicken it a little with xanthan gum and use as a taco sauce.
- 2 cups tomatoes finely chopped
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Combine the first 5 ingredients. Let sit for 5 minutes. Drain the liquid.
- Add the lime juice. Serve immediately.
FREE Mug Cake Cheat Sheet!
Six delicious low carb mug cake recipes on one printable page to keep on the fridge!