Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake. With a layer of brownies, and then a layer of mint chocolate chip ice cream, and then a layer of chocolate ganache this beats Carvel any day of the week. This delicious recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
My kids love mint chocolate chip ice cream all year long. I prefer it around Christmas when candy canes appear in the stores. (Or should I say September? Because we all know that is when Christmas decorations are starting to appear nowadays).
When I made my Fudge Brownie Pie last week I realized I should’ve halved the batter. I had way too much batter to pour into the pie crust. I carefully divided it and baked half in the pie and half in a loaf pan. I wasn’t exactly sure if I wanted to make ice cream sandwiches or an ice cream cake.
HOW TO MAKE GANACHE
After a bit of thought, I decided on the ice cream cake. That way I would get the brownie base, the ice cream, and then the ganache topping. There is no room for ganache in ice cream sandwiches
Stir together hot cream, sweetener, and chocolate for the ganache topping.
I prefer at this point to pour the ganache into a small food processor or blender and blend for a minute or two. This helps it thicken and makes it unbelievably smooth. Much more than you can get just by whisking.
This Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake looks like it has a ton of ingredients but many are repeated. It only has 12 individual ingredients and it is easier to make than it looks!
Ice Cream Cake Ingredients:
- dark 85% chocolate
- Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet (or my sweetener blend)
- almond flour
- coconut flour
- heavy whipping cream
- half and half
- unsweetened almond milk
- peppermint extract
How to make Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake
- Make the brownie base
- Make the ice cream and spread on the cooled brownies. Freeze.
- Top with ganache. Freeze again.
- Slice and serve.
Can I make this without an ice cream maker?
No, but you can sub in store-bought low carb ice cream in any flavor you choose! Just let it soften and use it in place of the homemade ice cream.
Other great low carb ice cream recipes:
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 egg yolks ***
- 1 tbsp glycerin
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup Gentle Sweet or my sweetener, finely ground
- 2.5 - 3 oz 85% dark chocolate bar finely chopped
- green food coloring optional (I didn't use any but I wish I had put in a couple drops)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl in the microwave. Add the sweetener, vanilla, flours, and eggs and stir until smooth.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Spread the brownie batter on top. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool completely.
- You can either make the brownie base a day or two ahead or make it the same day as the rest of the cake. Just make sure to chill it for at least an hour in the refrigerator. It should be very cold before proceeding.
- To make the ice cream combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- When the ice cream finishes churning spread it on top of the chilled brownies. Freeze for at least one hour before adding the ganache.
- To make the ganache microwave the chocolate and heavy cream at 30 second intervals until the chocolate is melted. Stir in the sweetener. Cool to room temperature. Spread on top of the frozen ice cream.
- Let this sit out for 20 minutes before slicing. Simply lift the ice cream out of the pan by the parchment. Slice it on a cutting board with a sharp knife. Enjoy!
Originally Published October 15, 2016. Revised and Republished June 23, 2019.