Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes. Yellow cake covered with sweetened peanut butter and chocolate ganache to mimic the Girl Scout Cookie favorite, the Tagalong.
You've probably realized I have a love affair with Girl Scout cookies by now. I, once a long long time ago, was a loyal Brownie who went door to door selling cookies. And then eating cookies.
My Tagalong Cookies and Tagalong Bars are so delicious when I saw this recipe for Tastycake Tandy Cakes I knew I wanted to make a healthier version.
How to Make Tagalong Cupcakes
This is a basic vanilla cupcake topped with a lightly sweetened peanut butter filling and then some chocolate ganache.
I really liked using plain white paper liners for these chocolate peanut butter cupcakes so that I could see all the layers. Feel free to use any liners that you prefer or just bake them right in the tin.
If you decide to bake them right in the pan make sure to grease the pan well. Pop the tagalong cupcakes out before adding the peanut butter and ganache.
If you are feeling more like a chocolate base than a yellow cake base you can sub in the cupcake base from this recipe for my Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes. You will need to double it to make 12 cupcakes.
Can anything be better than that beautiful chocolate and peanut butter covered cupcake?
In a hurry? Make my Keto Vanilla Mug Cake and just add some peanut butter and chocolate chips on top for the same flavor combo!
Like what you see? Follow me on Facebook! Love this recipe? Leave a comment & 5-star rating right here! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by getting email updates!
- 4 tablespoon butter softened
- ⅓ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Peanut Butter Topping:
- 1 cup natural peanut butter make sure it does not have added sugar
- 3 tablespoon Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 7 oz 85% dark or unsweetened chocolate
- 6 oz heavy cream
- ½ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- Preheat the oven to 350. In a bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter and gentle sweet until light and fluffy. Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat until combined. Add the eggs and mix well. Stir in the flours, baking powder, and salt until thoroughly combined. Divide batter between 12 muffin cups lined with paper liners. Bake at for 30-35 min. Let cool completely.
- Stir together the peanut butter and sweetener. Divide between the cupcakes. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave stirring every thirty seconds. Alternatively, you can melt it in a double boiler on the stove top. Warm the cream in the microwave until it is about the same temperature as the chocolate. Use an electric mixer to incorporate the cream into the melted chocolate. Add the sweetener and mix until smooth and shiny. It should be about the consistency of hot fudge.
- Spoon a big blob of chocolate on top of each peanut butter topped cupcake. Gently spread it to cover the peanut butter.
Can you make this as a cake? What size pan would you use?
Sure! I'd use an 8x8 pan for a thicker cake or a 9x13 for a thinner cake. Either will work, just bake until it is golden and feels firm when pressed lightly in the center.
Mary Laflair says
Can I use lily's chocolate to replace the unsweetened chocolate and sweetner?
I'm not sure they will be sweet enough without any added sweetener. My hunch is they will not be.
Hi! I love Tandy takes so I'm anxious to try this. Could I use all the baking blend instead of the flours and would I still need baking powder if I could.
Yes, you can use baking blend. Yes, you do still need baking powder.
Wonderful Thank you for sharing your recipes
Hello! These were very good!
One question though....
You have the carbs listed as 8g but when I entered the ingredients into My Fitness Pal it list the carbs as 18.9g. I used 1/2 the recipe for the chocolate ganache and used Trim Heathly Mama milk chocolate candy bars for my chocolate. I’m new at this so I’m just wondering what I did wrong?
Totally blew my carb allowance today! 😊
MFP doesn't subtract the sugar alcohol. I subtract those manually.
Jamie isaacs says
Thank you! Thank you for sharing this recipe. It has kept me from going off plan. The best low carb recipe I’ve ever had!
Jodi Stephan says
Also, do you think these would freeze well?
I am curious about this too!!
Yes, cupcakes do freeze well! These should too.
Jodi Stephan says
I made these last night but used erythitol and monk fruit. They turned out soooo good. Very rich but I think I'll use less icing next time.
So glad I came across your site. I can't wait to try some of these yummy looking recipes. Desserts are my downfall and now I can have some. I am looking for recipes that are diabetic friendly and think I can have some of these.
Wish I could find lactose free whipping or heavy cream.
Thank you for sharing.
Thankyou, these are amazing😋
Can't wait to try more of your recipes!