This rich and moist Vanilla Latte Poke Cake has a creamy coffee-soaked base topped with whipped cream lightly flavored with coffee and vanilla. It is my version of a Keto Tiramisu.
Keto, Low Carb, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, THM S
My husband’s family loves tiramisu but I have to admit I’m not a huge fan. The espresso-soaked ladyfingers are just too strong a flavor for me. I prefer my coffee light with cream. This is my take on a light and creamy tiramisu.
I only have one poke cake so far on my blog and I needed to remedy that situation. The one that I have so far is my Tres Leches Cake. If you have not tried it yet I highly recommend it. It is similar to this without the coffee flavor. One of the worst things is a dry cake. Poke cakes are fabulous because after pouring a flavorful liquid over the cake they are guaranteed to be moist.
What is Tiramisu?
Tiramisu is a coffee-flavoured Italian dessert. It is made of ladyfingers dipped in coffee, layered with a whipped mixture of eggs, sugar, and mascarpone cheese, flavoured with cocoa. Wikipedia
This obviously isn’t a traditional tiramisu, but it is a tiramisu flavored cake. And I really do prefer it to the real thing.
If you wanted to make it a little more traditional you can bake the cake in two small pans, add mascarpone to the whipped cream, and layer the baked cake with the cream.
Cake Ingredients for Keto Tiramisu:
- brewed coffee
- plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- almond flour
- coconut flour
- baking powder
Sweet Coffee Drizzle:
- brewed coffee
- half and half
Coffee Whipped Cream:
- heavy cream
- instant coffee
How to Make Keto Tiramisu Cake:
This is just a simple yellow cake with a sweet coffee cream poured over it. Top with whipped cream and you are in for a treat!
How to Make a Poke Cake
When the cake is cool poke small holes in it. Pour the soaking liquid on top. Let it soak in for at least 1 hour before serving.
How to Make Coffee Whipped Cream
To make the whipped cream topping whip the cream with an electric mixer until peaks begin to form. Sprinkle the instant coffee and sweetener on top. Add the vanilla. Continue mixing until well incorporated. Do not overbeat.
How to store Keto Tiramisu:
I keep all of my low carb baked goods in the fridge but since this one has whipped cream you definitely need to. Just cover it tightly and keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Here are a few other low carb poke cakes to check out:
Better Than Snickers Cake from The Fabuless Wife
Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake from All Day I Dream About Food
Tres Leches Cake from Joy Filled Eats
Paleo Lemon Blueberry Poke Cake from Beauty and the Foodie
Keto Key Lime Poke Cake from Keto Diet App
Peppermint Mocha Poke Cake from All Day I Dream About Food
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter and sweetener until light and fluffy. Add the coffee, yogurt, and vanilla and beat until combined. Add the eggs one at a time mixing after each. Stir in the flours, baking powder, and salt until thoroughly combined. Spread in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the cake it set. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine the 1 cup brewed coffee with the half and half and 1/4 cup sweetener. Simmer until reduced by half, about 30 minutes. Cool completely.
- When the cake is cool poke small holes in it. Pour the cooled coffee mixture on top. Let it soak in for at least 1 hour. At this point I put the cake in the fridge overnight. I prefer it thoroughly chilled.
- To make the whipped cream topping whip the cream with an electric mixer until peaks begin to form. Sprinkle the instant coffee and sweetener on top. Add the vanilla. Continue mixing until well incorporated. Do not overbeat.
To sub in Swerve use 1.5 to 2 times the amount of sweetener called for.
Originally Published March 16, 2017. Revised and Republished January 28, 2020.