This Four Cheese Hasselback Chicken Recipe looks fancy but it’s actually a really easy way to make stuffed chicken. You can stuff it with anything but my version has four different kinds of cheese, shredded zucchini, and bacon. Bacon is always a welcome ingredient in my house.
Hasselback Chicken Recipe with Bacon & Cheese – Low Carb, Keto, Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, THM S
So, what do I do when my husband and I each buy a 6-pound pack of chicken on the same day? Make lots of chicken recipes.
I’ve been seeing photos of Hasselback chicken on Pinterest for awhile now and I decided it was time to make my own version. Bacon crumbles were the first ingredient I grabbed out the fridge. Followed by cheese. And then I was stumped. I normally put a veggie in stuffed chicken and chicken casseroles.
How could I stuff a veggie into those tiny cracks? And then I remembered my friend Marisa gave me one of her garden zucchini. Perfect. I shredded it, mixed it with the cheese and bacon and stuffed those chicken breasts.
What is Hasselback Chicken?
Hasselback chicken has slits cut in the top and is filled with your choice of toppings.
How to Make Hasselback Chicken
- Cut slits in your chicken breasts. Make sure not to cut all the way through the chicken. Leave the bottom 1/2 inch attached.
- Prepare your filling. It should be thinly sliced or finely chopped.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and stuff them.
- Bake until the chicken is fully cooked.
What type of cheese for Hasselback Chicken?
You can really use any types of cheese for this Hasselback chicken recipe. I used what I had. The muenster and provolone were sliced for sandwiches so I just stacked the slices and cut them into cubes.
More Ideas for Hasselback Chicken
- Stuff the chicken with thinly sliced tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil.
- Chop cilantro, tomatoes, and onions. Add some lime zest. Use to stuff the chicken.
- Stuff the chicken breasts with thin slices of softened eggplant. Place on top of some marinara sauce in a baking dish. Cover with mozzarella for a delicious twist on both chicken and eggplant parmesan.
This Four Cheese Hasselback Chicken looks fancy but it's actually a really easy way to make stuffed chicken. You can stuff it with anything but my version has four different kinds of cheese, shredded zucchini, and bacon. Bacon is always a welcome ingredient in my house.
- Preheat oven to 400. Sprinkle a little salt on the shredded zucchini and set aside.
- Cut slits in the chicken breasts every 3/4 inch. Be careful not to cut all the way through. Sprinkle them with a little salt and pepper.
- Squeeze as much liquid out of the zucchini as possible. Combine cheeses, zucchini, bacon, and garlic in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- Stuff the stuffing down into the slits of the chicken. Bake for 35-45 minutes until the chicken is at least 160 degrees.
Originally Published onAugust 27, 2016. Revised and Republished on July 25, 2019.