This Peanut Butter Cake with Caramel Icing will be one of the best things you’ve ever eaten. If you don’t tell your family it’s healthy they will never know!
Peanut Butter Cake with Caramel Icing – Low Carb, Grain Free, THM S, Keto, Gluten Free
One of the first recipes I tried from the Trim Healthy Mama cookbook was the Pay Off Day Candies. They are a healthy, sugar free, version of Paydays. And they are amazing.
Last week when I was enjoying a Tagalong Cupcake I got to thinking about how it would be amazing with caramel instead of chocolate. And the Payday Cake idea was born.
This was amazing. The cake is fluffy, the peanut butter is salty, and the caramel is sweet. The crunch of the peanut on top sealed the deal. I don’t post recipes on the day of creation very often. It takes a few hours to take photos, edit photos, type up the recipe, create graphics for social media, etc. But this was too good not to share today.
Caramel Sauce Ingredients: butter, heavy cream, sweetener, salt, vanilla
Peanut Butter Layer Ingredients: peanut butter, sweetener, butter, cream cheese, heavy cream
Toppings: roasted peanuts, coarse sea salt
The gorgeous caramel sauce above is the icing on the cake. Literally.
Enjoy your Peanut Butter Cake with Caramel Icing, aka the Payday Cake!
This Peanut Butter Cake with Caramel Icing will be one of the best things you've ever eaten. If you don't tell your family it's healthy they will never know!
- 2/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 3 tbsp Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet or my sweetener
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt optional, recommended if using unsalted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8x8 or 9x9 pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter and gentle sweet until light and fluffy. Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat until combined. Add the eggs one at a time mixing after each. Stir in the flours, baking powder, and salt until thoroughly combined. Bake for 30-35 min until the edges are golden brown and the center feels firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, to make the caramel combine 1/4 cup cream, 3 tbsp butter, and sweetener and cook over medium low heat. Stir frequently until bubbly, thickened, and lightly browned. Remove from the heat and add the salt, vanilla, remaining 1 tbsp butter, and remaining 2 tbsp cream. Stir until smooth. Set aside and let cool to room temperature. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Mix the peanut butter ingredients until smooth.
- When the cake is cool spread the peanut butter on top. Drizzle on the caramel and spread evenly. Sprinkle on the peanuts and coarse salt, if using.