This Peanut Butter Cake with Caramel Icing will be one of the best things you've ever eaten. If you don't tell your family it's healthy they will never know! This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
One of the first recipes I tried from the Trim Healthy Mama cookbook was the Pay Off Day Candies. They are a healthy, sugar free, version of Paydays. And they are amazing.
Last week when I was enjoying a Tagalong Cupcake I got to thinking about how it would be amazing with caramel instead of chocolate. And the Payday Cake idea was born.
This was amazing. The cake is fluffy, the peanut butter is salty, and the caramel is sweet. The crunch of the peanut on top sealed the deal. I don't post recipes on the day of creation very often. It takes a few hours to take photos, edit photos, type up the recipe, create graphics for social media, etc. But this was too good not to share today.
Caramel Sauce Ingredients: butter, heavy cream, sweetener, salt, vanilla
Peanut Butter Layer Ingredients: peanut butter, sweetener, butter, cream cheese, heavy cream
Toppings: roasted peanuts, coarse sea salt
The gorgeous caramel sauce above is the icing on the cake. Literally.
Short on time? Try this Keto Peanut Butter Mug Cake instead!
Enjoy your Peanut Butter Cake with Caramel Icing, aka the Payday Cake!
- 4 tablespoon butter softened
- ½ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Caramel Sauce Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoon butter divided
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- ¾ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- ½ t. salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Peanut Butter Layer:
- ⅔ cup natural peanut butter
- 3 tablespoon Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 cup roasted peanuts
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt optional, recommended if using unsalted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8x8 or 9x9 pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter and gentle sweet until light and fluffy. Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat until combined. Add the eggs one at a time mixing after each. Stir in the flours, baking powder, and salt until thoroughly combined. Bake for 30-35 min until the edges are golden brown and the center feels firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, to make the caramel combine ¼ cup cream, 3 tablespoon butter, and sweetener and cook over medium low heat. Stir frequently until bubbly, thickened, and lightly browned. Remove from the heat and add the salt, vanilla, remaining 1 tablespoon butter, and remaining 2 tablespoon cream. Stir until smooth. Set aside and let cool to room temperature. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Mix the peanut butter ingredients until smooth.
- When the cake is cool spread the peanut butter on top. Drizzle on the caramel and spread evenly. Sprinkle on the peanuts and coarse salt, if using.