The Girl Scout cookie favorite made into a healthy bar with only 6 ingredients and ready in under an hour. My Tagalong Peanut Butter Cookie Bars will help you resist cookie sale temptation.
Tagalong Peanut Butter Cookie Bars – Low Carb, Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, THM S, Keto
Ever since I ate the last Tagalong Cookie from my freezer stash last month I’ve been wanting to make more. But they were a little time-consuming… I’ll admit it. Making the dough, rolling it, cutting out circles, baking the circles, making the peanut butter, freezing the peanut butter, and then assembling all the parts and coating them with chocolate. Time-consuming. But delicious. I knew I needed an easier method.
There is just something about Girl Scout cookies. I’m not sure if it’s nostalgia or just the fact that they are only sold a couple times a year but when I see them I want them. Samoas, Tagalongs, Thin Mints, Trefoils. Bring em on. My goal is to make healthy versions of all of them.
Easy Press in Crust
The flavors of these bars are the exact same as the cookies but they are so much easier with a press in cookie crust and just 6 ingredients. And they don’t have any special ingredients except the sweetener.
How to make Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Bars
To make these chocolate covered peanut butter cookie bars first you stir together the crust ingredients, press them into a baking dish, and bake.
Tips for the Peanut Butter Layer
While the crust is baking mix the peanut butter ingredients in the same bowl. No washing required. Gently spread that on the warm crust.
The key word here is ‘gently’. You should drop small dollops all over the crust and then wait a few minutes. This melts the peanut butter just enough that you can gently spread it.
Melt the chocolate, drizzle on, spread. Cool and eat!
I hope you enjoy these Healthy Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Cookie Bars!
Shortbread Cookie Layer:
Peanut Butter Layer:
- 3.5 oz 85% dark chocolate or sugar free chocolate chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium bowl mix all the shortbread ingredients until combined. Press into the bottom of a square 8x8 baking dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine the peanut butter ingredients. If your peanut butter is cold you can microwave it for 30 seconds to soften it.
- When the shortbread comes out of the oven drop little blobs of the peanut on top of it. Spread gently with a spatula. The heat from the cookie will help spread the peanut butter. Be gentle or the bottom layer can crumble.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or double boiler. Pour over the peanut butter. Spread gently. Put in the refrigerator until firm. Cut into squares and enjoy!
To sub in Swerve use 1.5 to 2 times the amount of sweetener called for.