This Raspberry Mousse Tart is light and fruity with the tartness of fresh raspberries and richness of the mousse. My keto raspberry tart is a great dessert for the summer or any other time of the year. This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
Fresh raspberries are one of my favorite things in the whole world. If only they weren’t so expensive. I splurge on occasion throughout the year and for the few weeks, they are reasonably priced I buy as many as possible. When we were having company the night before Mother’s Day I decided to make a special treat for myself, my family, and our dear friends.
Shortbread Tart Crust
This shortbread recipe has been my go-to for a while now. I use it as a base for many of my cookies by swapping out add-ins and toppings. I discovered it works wonderfully as a tart shell. I was able to bake it a few days ahead of time and then fill it a few hours before serving. That works well in the summer because you can bake it late at night or early in the morning without heating up the house too much. And since it bakes in about 20 minutes it isn’t too long to turn the oven on for.
Specialty Ingredients for the Shortbread Crust
Almond Flour – almond flour has a mild flavor and gives a tender crumb in tarts, pie crusts, cakes, cookies, and biscuits.
Sugar-Free Sweetener – I like to use a blend of xylitol, erythritol, and stevia in my recipes. By using a combination of sugar alcohols and stevia you can use half the amount required of regular sugar. Since these sweeteners can be more expensive this helps with my food budget. You can purchase this pre-mixed from the Trim Healthy Mama website or mix your own according to my recipe.
Gelatin – this crust does not have eggs so the gelatin acts as a binder and helps it hold together.
How to make a low carb tart crust
- Put all the ingredients into the food processor.
- Process until the dough comes together into a ball. This step is important. It starts out crumbly like sand but after 1-2 minutes comes together into a ball.
- Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of a tart pan.
How to Make Raspberry Mousse
It is very easy to make a raspberry mousse. First, you whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form. In another bowl mix together raspberry puree, ricotta cheese, and sweetener. Fold the whipped cream and raspberry ricotta cheese together.
Can I Use Cream Cheese instead of Ricotta?
Yes, but make sure it is thoroughly softened before mixing with raspberry puree. It would help to mix these together with an electric mixer until they are smooth.
Can I Sub in Another Type of Berry?
Yes. This is good with blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, or a combination!
How to make a shiny glaze for berry tarts
My shiny glaze is simply melted all-fruit jam. I use apricot because it has a light flavor and mild flavor. I want it for the shine, not the taste.
The glaze is optional. You could also drizzle some melted chocolate on top or serve with whipped cream.
Other Low Carb Berry Desserts:
- 12 oz fresh raspberries
- 1.5 tbsp all fruit or low carb jam optional
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a standard round tart pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the crust ingredients in the food processor and pulse until crumbs form. Pulse until the crumbs come together in a dough.
- Press with your fingers into the bottom and up the sides of a standard round tart pan.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Cool completely. The tart shell can be made a few days ahead and stored in the refrigerator.
- To make the raspberry mousse use an electric mixer to whip the heavy cream until fluffy. In a separate bowl beat the ricotta, raspberry puree, and sweetener. Gently fold the raspberry mixture into the heavy cream. Spoon into the prepared tart shell and smooth the top. Top with the fresh raspberries. If you are using the jam to glaze the tart simply warm the jam in the microwave for 15 seconds. Brush gently on top of the raspberries with a pastry brush.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Originally Published on May 15, 2017. Revised and Republished on May 8, 2019.
FREE Mug Cake Cheat Sheet!
Six delicious low carb mug cake recipes on one printable page to keep on the fridge!