Here is your new summer no-bake dessert! Cool, creamy, & refreshing this Berries & Cream Ice Cream Pie is perfection.
Berries & Cream Ice Cream Pie – Low Carb, Keto, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Sugar-Free, THM S
My blog didn’t have a single recipe that had both red and blue for the 4th of July. I had to remedy that and what better way to that than with a no-bake ice cream pie. This has layers of an almond pastry that is reminiscent of a graham cracker crust, a creamy vanilla ice cream studded with mixed berries, fresh whipped cream, and then more berries to show off the red, white, and blue.
No-Bake Crust for Ice Cream Pie
I use a no-bake crust that is a combination of almond flour, almond butter, butter, and sweetener that is inspired by the crust my friend Sarah of Mrs. Criddle’s Kitchen posted a few days ago. She uses the crust in her gorgeous fruit tart. I made a few tweaks for my taste buds and it is amazing. I had to refrain from eating all of it before I could press it into the pie plate. I did a little too much taste testing as is.
How to Make Berry Ice Cream
My ice creams are normally a combo of heavy cream, half and half, and almond milk. For this ice cream pie, I decided to skip the almond milk and add yogurt and cottage cheese to thicken it and add protein.
I do use raw egg yolks in all of my ice cream recipes. The addition of the egg yolks makes the ice cream creamier. Since eggs are a naturally low carb ingredient they work well for ice cream. If you are concerned about using raw yolks you can purchase pasteurized eggs. Or you can temper the ice cream by heating it and then cooling it before churning.
The glycerin is optional but highly recommended in this recipe. It helps the pie not to freeze too hard to cut. If you use glycerin you only need to let the pie sit out for about 10 minutes before cutting. If you do not it might take up to an hour.
Also, this ice cream recipe makes more ice cream than you need for the pie. You will end up with an extra pint or so. Just freeze the excess separately (after churning) and enjoy when the pie is gone and you wish it wasn’t.
How to Assemble an Ice Cream Pie
1. Make one no-bake pie crust
2. Make the ice cream
3. Pour the ice cream into the crust
4. Freeze until firm
5. If desired, top with whipped cream and decorate with fresh berries
What if I don’t have an Ice Cream Maker?
If you don’t own an ice cream machine you can mix berries into store-bought ice cream and then continue with the rest of the recipe.
Other Low Carb Ice Cream Recipes:
Ice Cream Ingredients:
- Combine all the ice cream ingredients (except the berries) in a blender and process until smooth. Churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pie crust. Chill while the ice cream is churning.
- When the ice cream is ready gently stir in the berries. Spoon 2/3 of it unto the pie crust. Save the rest for another use (or just eat it). Freeze the pie for at least 5-6 hours.
- Ten minutes before serving remove the pie from the freezer. Whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Mix in the sweetener. Use the whipped cream to top the pie. Decorate with fresh berries. Slice and serve.
- Tip: If you don't own an ice cream machine you can mix berries into store-bought ice cream and then continue with the rest of the recipe.
To sub in Swerve use 1.5 to 2 times the amount of sweetener called for.
Originally Published June 30, 2016. Revised and Republished April 25, 2019.