Pecan Crusted Chicken offers you that fried chicken crunch but without all the extra carbs. You have tender and juicy chicken tenders that are coated and baked in a crunchy toasted pecan batter. This chicken with pecans is heavenly, and if you are on the hunt for a new low carb chicken recipe, this is a must make. This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
In our home, we could live off chicken. It is such a versatile protein, and this pecan chicken recipe below was an instant family favorite in our household. The best part of all is it requires a handful of ingredients, and before you know it, you are baking your chicken and telling the family dinner is ready!
Pecan Crusted Chicken Recipe
For the flour I reached for coconut flour, I found the texture worked well in this recipe. I would think almond flour could work well, but I can't wholeheartedly say since I haven't tried it.
Do You Use Spices for Pecan Crusted Chicken
Yes, I mixed garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper in with the coconut flour. I wanted to do just a few spices that would blend well with the pecans.
How Do You Get Pecans Finely Chopped
You could go about this a handful of ways. I find personally, using a food processor is the fastest route. Pour in your nuts, and then turn on your food processor and mix until the pecans are finely chopped.
If you don't have a food processor, you can use your blender opting for the pulse button. Hit the pulse for a second then off for a second. You have to be cautious you don't over-blend the nuts with this route.
Or feel free to reach for a knife and chop away. You want the nuts fine as it will be the coating for your chicken. If you leave big pieces of nut, it won't stick to the chicken very well.
How Do You Cook Pecan Crusted Chicken
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees. Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat. This is going to help the chicken from sticking to the pan.
Then in a dish, you want to mix your flour and seasonings. Stir and set aside. Then in another bowl add your egg wash and another bowl with chopped pecans.
You will work in steps on coating the chicken. First start by coating a piece of chicken in the coconut flour mix, followed by dipping in the egg, and then roll in the pecan crumbles. Lay out on a baking sheet and repeat until the entire chicken is done.
Then bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until your chicken is fully cooked.
What To Serve With Pecan Crusted Chicken
You can pair this chicken recipe with any of your favorite side dishes. This pecan chicken is so versatile and mild in flavor it pairs nicely with pretty much any side dish. Let me share a handful of ideas with you.
- Pecan Crusted Chicken Salad | This is my favorite way to enjoy pecan chicken and what you see in some of these photos. I simply slice the chicken and put on a bed of field greens drizzled with balsamic dressing and top with a few strawberries and some gorgonzola or feta cheese.
- Kale Salad | We love eating kale in our home. This salad is the perfect way to use up fresh kale for a crispy and refreshing salad. The sliced apples off a sweet twist that is so delicious.
- Cucumber Avocado Salad | Here is a light side to pair with your chicken. We will reach for a side salad like this if it is summer. It is excellent for an easy lunch for the family.
- Garlic Broccoli | Another super easy side dish we love to cook up. It is so easy for me to cook and my whole family gobbles it right up.
Homemade Balsamic Dressing for Pecan Chicken Salad
I make a very simple balsamic dressing. This has 2 carbs per serving. Simply mix ¾ cup light olive oil, ¼ cup balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp sweetener, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. Either put these into a rocket blender and blend until emulsified or combine in a mason jar and shake well. Each serving is 2 ½ tablespoons.
What is The Best Way to Reheat Pecan Chicken
Honestly, you can reheat your chicken in the oven, toaster oven, or even the microwave. If you do the oven place chicken in a pan and then wrap with aluminum foil tightly. This will help prevent the chicken from drying out as it is heated in the oven.
What Other Recipes Can I Make With Pecan Chicken
We tend to have a few leftovers in our home when I make this dish. I enjoy slicing it up and topping a salad with it the next day for lunch. I enjoy cold chicken on salads and the crispy pecans on the outside offer incredible crunch to my green salad.
Give this pecan chicken recipe a try, if you enjoy baked chicken. It is easy, simple ingredients, and just a little time before dinner is served.
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a shallow dish mix the coconut flour, garlic, onion, and salt. Put the beaten eggs in a second dish. Put the chopped pecans in a third dish.
- Coat one of the chicken tenders with the coconut flour, then coat with the egg, lastly coat with the pecans. Put on the prepared baking dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken tenders. Bake for 20-25 min until the chicken is cooked through.