We celebrated my husband’s 35th birthday last night while visiting family in Michigan. One of his favorite desserts is strawberry shortcake so I wanted to treat him for his special day.
But I also wanted to treat myself so I knew I wanted to make a low carb, sugar free, gluten free, trim healthy mama friendly strawberry shortcake. The shortcake is studded with chopped strawberries and resembles a pound cake in texture. It is phenomenal. I ate the leftover end piece in the car for breakfast this morning and it was just as good plain.
4 T. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup ground golden flax
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup strawberries, chopped
Whipped Cream (can be halved – this makes a generous amount):
1 pint of heavy cream
2 tbsp THM gentle sweet (or sweetener of choice)
Extra sliced strawberries to serve.
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan liberally with butter. In a bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter and gentle sweet until light and fluffy. Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat until combined. Add the eggs one at a time mixing after each. Stir in the flours, baking powder, and salt until thoroughly combined. Fold in the chopped strawberries. Pour into loaf pan and spread evenly.
Bake at 350 for 45-60 min until golden, firm to the touch, and no longer jiggly.
If you enjoy my recipes please consider using one of my affiliate links. I earn a small commission at no cost to you so I can keep making free recipes. It also helps support our growing family.
If you use any of my links to iherb you save $5 and get free shipping over $20. They have competitive pricing for a lot of staples in THM. The promo code is FQM372 if you need it. You can make five pounds of your own sweetener for $32 with my link.
I also have links for Amazon: http://amzn.to/1WJ9R8V and the Trim Healthy Mama Store: https://store.trimhealthymama.com/category-s/1823.htm
- 4 T. butter, softened
- 1/2 cup THM gentle sweet (or my copycat)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup ground golden flax
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 tbsp gentle sweet (or sweetener of choice)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan liberally with butter.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter and gentle sweet until light and fluffy. Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat until combined. Add the eggs one at a time mixing after each.
- Stir in the flours, baking powder, and salt until thoroughly combined. Fold in the strawberries. Pour into loaf pan and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350 for 45-60 min until golden, firm to the touch, and no longer jiggly.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream. Once peaks form add the sweetener. Refridgerate until ready to serve. Slice the cake and serve with whipped cream and extra berries.
Subscribe to email updates on the right of this page.
|Amount Per Serving based on 12 servings
(not including berries on top)
Total Fat 27.4g
Saturated Fat 13.7g
Total Carbohydrates 5.4g
Dietary Fiber 2.2g