Win over any crowd with this delicious low carb keto ground beef stroganoff. It's fancy enough for dinner with friends and will keep all the kids happy too! You can quickly whip up easy beef stroganoff on a busy weeknight also. This easy recipe is also gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
I don't know about you, but ages ago, I tried the boxed stroganoff, and it majorly lacked in the flavor department. Nowadays, I have learned that if I want something that is easy to make, tastes great, and has read ingredients in it, I need to make it myself. The boxed food aisle in the store is the last place I want to hang out!
I know that I can manage to make a large batch or small batch of this low carb beef stroganoff depending on who I am feeding, and it turns out perfect every time. When I feed the kids or my friends, they have no idea they're eating something healthy, and I don't advertise it that way. Serve the easy beef stroganoff with some cauliflower mash and keto breadsticks, and you'll have a complete meal.
Is Keto Ground Beef Stroganoff Healthy?
Yes, this ground beef stroganoff is healthy. You will find many variations out there, and they aren't healthy at all. I wanted to break down some of the nutrients you get with this one-pot dinner idea.
- Ground Beef - You may be surprised to know that there are many vitamins and minerals in ground beef such as vitamin B6, iron, selenium, phosphorus, and vitamin B12. Especially if you buy quality beef like that from ButcherBox.
- Mushrooms - Fiber, copper, zinc, folate, potassium, and magnesium are just a few of the nutrients found in mushrooms.
- Onions - You'll be happy to know that onions are nutrient-rich and are a great addition to many recipes. They are full of calcium, vitamin C, fiber, protein, iron, folic acid, and quercetin, which is an antioxidant.
- Sour Cream - There is potassium, protein, vitamin A, calcium, vitamin B12, and riboflavin in each helping of sour cream you eat.
As with all recipes, you should eat in moderation. So, rest easy that you can make this ground beef stroganoff and feel good about feeding it to your family. They will be getting much-needed nutrients from it.
- Olive Oil & Butter - I think the combination of both for the best caramelization on the onions.
- Onions & Garlic - You can replace both or either with shallots if you have some on hand.
- Mushrooms - Regular white button mushrooms are fine or you can use any mushrooms you enjoy.
- Beef Broth - Make sure to check for added ingredients and fillers when buying beef stock.
- Worchestershire Sauce - This really gives the stroganoff an authentic flavor.
- Sour Cream & Heavy Cream - For a dairy free stroganoff you can sub in coconut cream and coconut milk.
- Xanthan Gum - Just a little is all you need to thicken the sauce.
and of course, Ground Beef
You can see the beef I chose in the photo above. The ground beef from ButcherBox is 100% grass-fed and delivered to your door. Check out the current offer from ButcherBox here.
How To Make Keto Ground Beef Stroganoff
It is so easy to make keto low carb stroganoff. You only need one pan and less than thirty minutes.
First Step: Sautee the onion and garlic in heated butter and oil. Then add in the mushrooms and cook until they are tender.
Second Step: After the mushrooms have been tenderized, remove everything from the skillet, and set aside.
Third Step: Brown the ground beef in the same skillet.
Fourth Step: While hamburger is browning, prepare the gravy mixture. Mix together broth, salt, Worcestershire, xanthan gum, sour cream, and heavy cream using a whisk.
Fifth Step: Once the ground beef has browned up, add the sauce to the pan with the meat. Allow it to cook and thicken for around 5 minutes. Add the mushroom mixture to the pan and give it a quick stir. Serve warm with your favorite low carb noodles and enjoy!
Can I Use A Different Kind Of Meat Instead Of Ground Beef?
Yes, you can use different meat if you aren't a fan of ground beef or don't have any on hand. Ground turkey, ground pork, and ground chicken would all be great options. Just remember if you do change out the meat in this low carb ground beef stroganoff recipe, that the flavor is going to change some too. This is normal, and it will still be delicious, just a little different than the original recipe. Or sub in sliced beef, like London broil, for the ground meat. You can even make lamb stroganoff.
How Can I Make Beef Stroganoff Without Cream of Mushroom Soup
Cream of mushroom soup may be in many beef stroganoff recipes but you definitely don't need it. Your stroganoff will be much tastier (and healthier) when you use fresh ingredients. A simple combination of sauteed onions, garlic, and mushrooms with cream and sour cream mimics that cream of mushroom soup flavor.
Can You Make This Easy Beef Stroganoff Recipe Ahead?
Yes, you can absolutely make this easy keto beef stroganoff recipe ahead. Just follow the directions and allow it to cool. Once it's cooled, then place the beef stroganoff in an airtight container and place it in the fridge. When you're ready to serve, simply heat it up and enjoy it. It's that easy and makes a fantastic lunch or leftover dinner idea.
To save on time try using pre-cooked ground beef from Just Meats. Check out my Just Meats Review to learn more.
How Do You Reheat Beef Stroganoff?
You can reheat easy keto ground beef stroganoff easily! Simply place the stroganoff in a microwave-safe container and heat it for a minute or two until it's hot. Or, you can place it back in a skillet and heat it on medium-high heat until it's warm all the way through. Then serve.
Can I Freeze This?
Yes, technically, you can freeze this keto ground beef stroganoff recipe if you want to. Just keep in mind that when you heat it back up, you may notice some separation from the sour cream and heavy cream. This is entirely normal and is edible; it just doesn't look as appealing as it would when it's made fresh.
How should I serve Keto Ground Beef Stroganoff?
I like my low carb keto beef stroganoff served over Palmini Noodles. These are fine for a low carb diet because they are made out of hearts of palm. Pasta made from hearts of palm is my favorite low carb noodle. You can also serve it on top of mashed cauliflower, over spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or shirataki noodles, over cauliflower rice, or just in a bowl for a keto diet.
Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender. Remove from the pan.
- Add the ground beef and brown.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients to make the sauce. Add to the meat and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add back the cooked mushrooms and onions. Serve over your favorite low carb noodles.
Looking for more easy dinner ideas using ground beef? Take a look at these reader favorite meals: