Baked Feta Chicken is the ultimate dinner idea your taste buds have been dreaming about. Tangy feta cheese, juicy chicken breasts, and sweet grape tomatoes are heavenly together. Make this dish with just 5 ingredients and less than 1 hour. It's also a keto friendly, low carb, gluten-free and grain-free dish!
Another Tik Tok sensation is baked feta. I wanted to make my own spin on this dish and include chicken breasts and let me just tell you...it's INCREDIBLE! You can serve it as a complete meal or add some sides. No matter how you serve it, I am confident you are going to want to make it again and again. The amazing flavor of this easy feta chicken bake shines through and I am sure this is going to be a family favorite.
This healthy all-in-one dish means it's ideal for taking to all those summer potlucks and barbecues too. Plus, clean-up is a breeze, and you don't have to worry about dirtying the entire kitchen.
You just need a handful of ingredients to create this flavorful, rich, and delicious gluten free dish. Okay, let's take a look so you can make this from scratch and see how amazing it is.
- Chicken Breasts - Use boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins. The milder flavor of the white meat pairs better with the feta than chicken thighs.
- Feta Cheese - Okay, the real star of the show is the feta cheese. It gives the dish a super-rich and incredible flavor. It is naturally salty so you do not need any added salt in this dish.
- Grape Tomatoes - I prefer grape (or cherry) tomatoes because they are naturally sweet. The acidity of the tomatoes really enhances the other flavors.
- Olive Oil - You could also use avocado oil if you'd rather, but I prefer using olive oil.
- Black Pepper - A little bit of pepper really helps the dish taste extra good.
- Basil - Adding fresh herbs always adds extra flavor to your recipes. I love fresh basil, so I will find any excuse to use it. It's incredibly good in this baked feta chicken recipe.
How To Make Baked Feta Chicken
Next time you are hosting a dinner party or want some special for the family, you really need to try this baked feta recipe.
Step One: Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Step Two: Layer the chicken in the bottom of a large casserole dish. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the chicken is done. Remove the dish from the oven and cover to keep warm. Set aside.
Step Three: Add the feta cheese, tomatoes, and black pepper to the baking dish and drizzle all of it with olive oil.
Step Four: Bake for 40 minutes or until the tomatoes have softened and the feta has started to melt.
Step Five: Add the chicken back to the pan and mix well. Add fresh basil on top and serve warm. Enjoy!
Tips & Variations
- Be sure to cut the chicken into even strips. This is going to ensure that it cooks evenly, and you don't have to worry about some pieces being overcooked while others are raw.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of the chicken. The last thing you are going to want to do is overbake it. Trust me on this! It will get dried out. Instead, check the temperature until it reaches 158 degrees then you can pull it out of the oven. It will continue rising to reach 160.
- When the baked feta chicken is done, it's best served right away. While you can save leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days, it tastes better when fresh.
- Add a little spice by sprinkling on some red pepper flakes.
- Out of fresh basil? Swap it for oregano or parsley instead.
- Love lemon? Squeeze on a little fresh lemon juice before serving.
Is It Okay To Use Crumbled Feta Cheese?
I find that I like it best when using a block of feta, but using crumbled is ok in a pinch. Don't add it to the pan at the beginning, instead add it once the tomatoes are softened, around the 20-minute mark.
Can I Use A Different Kind Of Cheese?
Sure! While I do love feta, you can actually swap it for goat cheese or even mascarpone or brie. It's going to be creamy and delicious, but not as strong of a flavor as feta is. Play around with it and see what you like best. Softer cheeses should be added halfway through the roasting time listed for the tomatoes and feta.
Is It Okay To Use Different Tomatoes?
Yes, grape and cherry tomatoes are the best because of the way they get extra juicy and cook so easily. However, you can swap them for diced tomatoes. Keep in mind, the texture and flavor are going to be different if you do this. You could also use sun-dried tomatoes for some extra good flavor.
Want to try another version of this sensation? Check out this keto feta pasta.
- 2 lb chicken breasts sliced
- 8 oz feta cheese
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray and add the chicken. Bake the chicken for 10-12 minutes until fully cooked. Remove from the casserole, cover to keep warm, and set aside.
- Add the feta, tomatoes, and black pepper to the baking dish. Drizzle with the olive oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes until tomatoes are softened and feta is melting. Add the chicken back to the casserole dish and mix well. Sprinkle with the fresh basil.
More Easy Chicken Recipes: