If you love this classic treat but want a healthier version you’ve come to the right place. My Magic Cookie Bars are low carb, keto, grain-free, sugar-free, gluten-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
Magic Cookie Bars – sugar-free, grain-free, gluten-free, low carb, THM S
A friend brought the regular version of these magic cookie bars to dinner a couple weeks and I couldn’t resist their chocolate coconut yumminess. I knew I HAD to come up with a healthier version.
This is such a classic bake sale type recipe. There are other names for it (hello dollies, seven layer bars? very similar, just with butterscotch chips) and many variations but I stuck to the original.
These are so good. They are very rich (so please don’t eat the whole batch at once) and delicious with a cup of coffee after dinner.
And if you don’t feel like going through the steps to make the crust simply make my Five Minute Magic Cookies instead. The flavor is very similar but they really only take five minutes to prepare!
If you love this classic treat but want a healthier version you've come to the right place. My Magic Cookie Bars are low carb, keto, grain-free, sugar-free, gluten-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet or my sweetener
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips or chopped 85% dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or other nut of choice)
- Combine crust ingredients and press into the bottom of a 8×8 baking dish. Bake at 350 for 12 min. or until golden brown.
Meanwhile, you need to make my sugar free condensed milk. Bring the heavy cream, 2 tablespoons butter, and sweetener to a gentle boil and cook stirring frequently until it is light golden brown and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Remove from the heat. Either cool until room temperature before stirring in the egg yolk OR, if you are impatient like me, very slowly pour the liquid over the egg yolk while whisking like crazy. (No one wants scrambled yolk in their magic cookie bars).
- Now it is time to assemble. Sprinkle coconut, chocolate chips, and walnuts onto the crust. Drizzle condensed milk over the top. Bake at 350 for 20-25 min. until set and golden brown. Cool completely and chill in the fridge before serving or the crust can crumble.