If your favorite after-dinner treat is creamy keto chocolate ice cream, have I got a deal for you! You can whip up a batch of this incredible low carb chocolate ice cream with just 7 ingredients, and it’s mind-blowing good. Cure your chocolate craving while indulging a little. This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
Eating ice cream is just a way of life, and due to all the added sugars and other ingredients, it’s not always an option for me. So, I took matters into my own hands and knew that if I played around with the ingredients enough, I would come up with the perfect low carb dessert. I did it!
This ketogenic chocolate ice cream recipe is just as good as what I was accustomed to but fits into my keto lifestyle flawlessly. I love chocolate but my husband's favorite is this Maple Ice Cream With Candied Walnuts.
Now life is so much easier when hosting a birthday party or gathering with family. I know that there is an easy to make dessert option that fits my needs and anyone else who eats the way I do.
It’s not that a dessert is necessary all the time, but you never want to feel left out when everyone else is enjoying a bowl of ice cream! My kids can't even tell low carb ice cream from the regular ones. This Vanilla Latte Coffee Ice Cream is my 11-year-old's favorite, she loves anything coffee-flavored!
Ingredient Notes for Low Carb Ice Cream
EGG YOLKS: If you are concerned about using raw egg yolks, you can purchase pasteurized eggs, or you can temper the ice cream base.
GLYCERIN: The glycerin is optional but helps the ice cream to stay scoopable in the freezer. If you don’t mind letting the ice cream sit out at room temperature for about half an hour before scooping, you can omit the glycerin.
HEAVY CREAM: If you would prefer a dairy-free chocolate ice cream using coconut cream and coconut milk check out my Chocolate Dairy Free Ice Cream Recipe.
How to Make Keto Chocolate Ice Cream
If you’ve been on the hunt for a go-to ice cream that doesn’t take forever to make, you’ve found what you’ve been looking for! It’s so easy and delicious, you can’t help but be addicted to it.
First Step: Put the heavy whipping cream, milk of your choice, egg yolks, cocoa powder, vanilla, sweetener, and vegetable glycerin in a blender.
Second Step: Once the ingredients are smooth, add them to an ice cream machine and follow the manufacturer’s directions.
What ice cream maker should I buy?
This Cuisinart 1.5 quart Ice Cream Maker is one of the best kitchen investments I have ever made. Those store-bought pints of low carb ice creams add up fast AND homemade ice cream tastes so much better. See my favorite ice cream maker HERE.
Optional Keto Chocolate Ice Cream Topping Ideas
When it comes to eating my low carb chocolate ice cream recipe, half the fun is all the scrumptious toppings you can add. Plus, everyone can have something a little bit different and will be perfectly happy. Here are some ideas to try out:
- Hot Fudge Sauce - You only need 3 ingredients to make this hot fudge, and it’s honestly so good you could eat it with a spoon. Imagine it over some freshly homemade low carb chocolate ice cream. Heavenly!
- Sugar-Free Salted Caramel Sauce - You guys! This caramel sauce is one of the most delicious things you’ll ever eat. It’s creamy and is perfect for all your low carb desserts.
- Peanut Butter
- Nuts - Any of your favorite nuts would work beautifully as a topping. Pecans or walnuts are so flavorful and give you that fun little crunch.
- Toasted Coconut - Sprinkle some toasted coconut on top of the ice cream. This is especially good if you happened to add coconut milk to it. So good!
- Fruit - Strawberries are my go-to fruit when it comes to ice cream. Especially chocolate ice cream. But, you can add any of your favorite low carb fruit to the ice cream.
- Whipped topping - Make up a batch of homemade whipped topping, and it will go perfectly with this chocolate ice cream.
- Cookie Dough - my 13-year-old son's choice of topping and mix-in, he loves my Keto Cookie Dough Ice Cream.
How to store homemade ice cream
Anytime we buy store-bought ice cream that comes in plastic pint containers I wash them out and save them. But you can really use any airtight container to store ice cream. I especially love these mini ice cream containers - they are perfect for portion control.
Want more chocolate? Try this keto dark chocolate gelato!
- 2 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup almond milk coconut milk, or reduced carb milk
- 3 egg yolks ***
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 1 tbsp glycerin (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients for the ice cream base in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions.