This Almond Joy Ice Cream is a rich chocolate ice cream with chunks of chewy coconut filling, chocolate chips, & roasted almonds. This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
Almond Joys are one of the candies that I have the hardest time resisting when my kids come home on Halloween with pillowcases full of candy. The chocolate/almond/coconut combination is such a winner with my taste buds. A few months ago I made a sugar free almond joy copycat candy recipe and last month I decided to turn the same flavors into ice cream!
This base is very similar to my Ultimate Chocolate Ice Cream but the difference in mix-ins warranted a whole new post. I keep sneaking bites of both from the freezer undecided which one I like better.
What is Almond Joy Ice Cream
Only the best ice cream even. Creamy chocolate ice cream with roasted nuts and chunks of chewy coconut candy.
Want to try a low carb Almond Joy? Make sure to make my original almond joy candies recipe!
How to Make Almond Joy Ice Cream
I try to keep my ice cream recipes easy. I put the ingredients in the blender, give them a good mix, and then pour into the ice cream machine. That's it.
For this almond joy ice cream, you make the chewy coconut filling while the ice cream is churning. The entire process is less than 30 minutes. With only about 10 minutes of hands-on time.
Notes on Ice Cream Ingredients
This has so much yumminess mixed in that it really doesn't need additional toppings. But if you want to add some these are great choices:
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup half and half
- ⅔ cup almond milk
- ⅔ cup cottage cheese
- 2 egg yolks ***
- ⅓ cup dark cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 1 tablespoon glycerin
- Combine all the ingredients for the ice cream base in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Meanwhile, process half of the toasted coconut flakes in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Stir together all of the filling ingredients.
- When the ice cream is finished churning spoon ⅓ of it into a large container, top with ⅓ of the topping, gently swirl. Continue layering the ice cream and topping. (You can also freeze this in several small containers). Freeze for 3-4 hours or until firm
Originally Published August 15, 2016. Revised and Republished on June 2, 2019.