This Keto Chicken Marsala is the perfect home-style dinner option for those busy nights! Made with tender chicken, fresh mushrooms, marsala wine, cheeses, bacon, onions, and garlic, you can’t help but fall in love. My satisfying chicken marsala casserole keeps you coming back for more because the flavor is simply delicious. This easy recipe is low carb, gluten-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
It’s not a secret that our household enjoys most chicken dishes. Chicken is usually fairly inexpensive, tastes great, and can be turned into a sweet or savory meal that everyone enjoys. This homemade chicken marsala recipe is perfect for the entire family, but it’s also fancy enough I could serve it to friends.
In many traditional chicken marsala recipes, the chicken is dredged in flour and cooked in a skillet and then topped with mushroom gravy. I wanted to try something different and make sure that it was a low carb dish. So I skipped dreading it in flour and chose to bake it instead. It’s practically hands-off cooking, which gives me more time to work on other projects or clean instead.
I also don't love chicken marsala made the traditional way. The flavor of the marsala wine can overpower the other flavors. I wanted to keep that flavor subtle so you can taste all the different components in this dish. It has become one of my favorite chicken recipes!
How To Make Keto Chicken Marsala
Everything about this healthy chicken marsala bake is simple to work with. The ingredients and the directions are straightforward and give you an amazing dinner option. Let’s take a peek at the steps needed to make baked chicken marsala with mushrooms.
First Step: Turn on the oven to 400 degrees F. Then place the butter (or sub olive oil) and onions inside of a large casserole dish. Bake them for 15 minutes to allow the onions to brown up and soften some.
Second Step: Start preparing the chicken and marsala sauce while the onions are baking. Combine the wine, softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, bacon, garlic, and salt in a bowl and mix well.
Third Step: Add the chicken and mushrooms to the baking dish when the onions are softened. Stir well and bake for 15 minutes. The chicken will be almost cooked after 15 minutes.
Fourth Step: Drain off the cooking liquid out of the casserole dish. Mix the marsala sauce into the onions, mushrooms, and chicken.
Fifth Step: Add mozzarella cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes. You can broil the marsala chicken dish for 2-3 minutes to brown up the cheese even more. Serve and enjoy!
Can I Use Chicken Thighs Instead of Breasts?
I love the texture and flavor that boneless skinless chicken breasts offer to this dish. However, you can swap for chicken thighs if you’d rather. You will need to use boneless skinless thighs, so you don’t have to deal with bones. The cooking time should be very similar, so you can simply follow the rest of the recipe and directions for my chicken marsala casserole.
Is There Anything I Could Use In Place of Marsala Wine?
Yes, if you don’t have dry Marsala wine or simply don’t like it, you can exchange it for Port, Red Vermouth, or Madeira wine. Any dry wine will work, so use what you like, and you’ll be good to go. Check out my guide about wine on keto for more information.
Expert Tip: If you don't drink alcohol simply buy a cooking wine so you get the flavor of wine without any alcohol.
What Do I Serve With Keto Chicken Marsala?
As with many dishes, you can serve this chicken marsala bake with several different options. Here are a few ideas that compliment the flavors.
- Cauliflower Rice - Add a helping of cauliflower rice to your plate and top with the chicken marsala casserole. It’s incredible, and you don’t have to worry about those pesky carbs!
- Salad - Serve with a simple garden salad or go wild and serve something like my zucchini salad with lemon & feta. Either way, adding those extra nutrients to your meal is always a great idea.
- Zoodles - You could cook some zucchini noodles to add some vibrant color and texture to your dinner. Just lightly saute and top with grated parmesan cheese.
- Mashed Cauliflower - Serving this easy chicken marsala with some freshly made keto cauliflower mash for one of my ultimate favorite combos.
Love this recipe? Try my Keto Creamy Chicken Casserole next!
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 3 lbs chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400. Put the onions and butter in a large casserole dish. Bake for 15 minutes to soften and brown the onions.
- Meanwhile, this is a great time to prep the chicken and mushrooms and make the sauce. To make the sauce simply stir together the wine, softened cream cheese, mayo, bacon, garlic, and salt.
- After the onions have softened add the chicken and mushrooms and stir all 3 together. Bake for an additional 15 minutes. After 15 minutes the chicken should be almost fully cooked.
- Carefully drain the cooking liquid from the casserole dish. Mix the sauce into the cooked chicken, mushrooms, and onions. Top with the mozzarella cheese. Return to the oven for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- OPTIONAL: For the best color on the cheese I like to broil this for 2-3 minutes at the end.
More Keto Recipes for Chicken
- Chicken al Forno aka Vodka Sauce Chicken Casserole
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Saltimbocca
- Keto Chicken Thighs
- Keto Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- BBQ Chicken Casserole
Get the Joy Filled Eats Keto eBook Bundle!
Over 100 easy recipes w/photos & nutrition info.