This BBQ Chicken Casserole with Bacon has the smoky flavor of barbecue, bacon, and cheddar. It comes together in minutes completely from scratch without the need for a bottled sugar-free sauce. This easy barbecue chicken casserole recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
How To Make BBQ Chicken Casserole
When you take that first bite of this delicious chicken casserole, you will see how lip-smacking good it is. You can quickly and easily make this casserole in around 45 minutes, and the aroma of it cooking is out of this world.
This looks like a lot of ingredients but most of them are spices. Feel free to substitute your favorite BBQ rub to taste instead of my spice combination.
First Step: In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, and all the spices. Combine well.
Second Step: Gently fold in the cooked chicken, cauliflower, 6 ounces of the cheese, and half of the bacon. Pour into a casserole dish.
Third Step: Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until it’s hot and bubbly. Enjoy hot!
Reasons We Love Chicken Casseroles
As I have mentioned, casseroles are a favorite in our household. Not only will my kids eat them like there is no tomorrow, but there are also many other reasons why casserole is such a hit for us.
- It’s inexpensive to make casseroles. This BBQ chicken casserole won’t break the bank because the ingredients are inexpensive and common items. You don’t need some expensive component that is a pain to come by. Plus, it’s way cheaper than eating take-out.
- Less dirty dishes. YES! There are less dirty dishes when making a one-pot or one-pan meal. You can even skip the bowl for mixing and combine the ingredients directly in the pan you are baking in. This will make clean up a breeze.
- The options are endless. If there is one meal option out there that truly gives you endless possibilities, it’s casseroles. You can do so much with them and add or omit ingredients that fit your needs.
- Everyone devours this bbq chicken casserole. It doesn’t matter if we are taking it to a friends house for dinner or are just spending the night in, everyone gobbles up every last crumb. Once you taste it, you will quickly understand why.
- Casseroles are perfect for meal prepping. Whether you are an old pro at meal prepping or are just starting to get into it, making casseroles like this barbecue chicken casserole is a must. You’ll be amazed by how much extra time you have when you plan your meals out in advance.
- You get a lot of servings out of this casserole. Casseroles, in general, usually make a fair amount of food, and this one is no different. You can easily feed 8 hungry people with this delicious dish.
Barbecue Chicken Casserole Variations
Sometimes variations are my favorite part because they can really change the dish to make it taste like something totally different. I seriously love everything about this chicken casserole and think you will too. If you want to try a few variations, consider any of these ideas.
- Broccoli - What goes better with cauliflower than broccoli? Use frozen, and be sure to thaw it and drain off any leftover liquid. Add it in with the cauliflower.
- Cayenne Pepper - Add a dash or two of cayenne pepper to give it a little bit of heat. It’s an easy way to add in some spice.
- Onions - You can add onions in a variety of ways. Sprinkle some chopped green onions on top, mix in some yellow onion into the barbecue chicken casserole, or saute some onions then add them to the dish. Any of those ways will work perfectly and give you some added flavor.
What to Serve with a BBQ Casserole
Since this casserole includes both meat and a vegetable it can be served on its own. But if you want to add something extra on the side I normally choose a cold side dish. Some of our favorites to go with this are keto coleslaw, keto broccoli salad, and keto caesar salad. Any of those plus this amazing dish and I know dinner will be a success!
- Combine cream cheese, mayo, sour cream, and all the spices. Mix well.
- Fold in chicken, cauliflower, ¾ of the cheese, and ½ of the bacon.
- Put in a casserole dish. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and bacon.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 min until bubbly and hot.
If this is your first visit to Joy Filled Eats you should take a peek at my casserole collection. They are all low carb, gluten-free, keto, and THM S.
Originally Published April 29, 2016. Revised and Republished June 5, 2020.
Get the Joy Filled Eats Keto eBook Bundle!
Over 100 easy recipes w/photos & nutrition info.