Add some tang to your day with some homemade sugar free lemonade. This easy keto lemonade only requires three ingredients, and it’s perfect for adding a little bit of zest to your life. It’s cool, refreshing, and super simple to make. It is also low carb, gluten-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
I love fresh squeezed lemonade at fairs in the summer. Last summer we went to an outdoor concert with friends and it was about 100 degrees and I was 8 months pregnant. Getting a fresh lemonade was my splurge of the day but watching them scoop spoonfuls of sugar into it was a bit of a downer! Not a good choice for a keto diet, I will admit that.
Did you realize that regular lemonade is completely loaded with sugar? Whether it’s homemade or something you buy at your local fair; you’ll find that the lemonade usually has a minimum of 24 grams of sugar per serving.
Instead of drinking such a sugary lemonade drink, you can easily make it at home without all the added unhealthy sweet stuff. My keto low carb lemonade requires only three ingredients, and it tastes just as amazing as anything else you could drink.
Keto friendly lemonade is a great drink to quench your thirst without drinking just plain water. Lemons are very good for you, so it’s good to include them in your diet. So if you struggle with getting enough liquid every day, go ahead and include some homemade sugar-free lemonade into your diet. Or just drink it as a special treat during those hot summer days when you feel like you can’t get enough to drink.
Is Keto Lemonade Healthy?
Absolutely, this homemade keto lemonade recipe is very healthy. Lemons have vitamin C, fiber, potassium, and vitamin B6. It doesn’t matter if you’re drinking or eating the lemons; you will get the nutrients either way. Vitamin C is so essential to be healthy and gives your immune system of boost. Another fantastic thing about fresh lemons is there a low calorie, and they provide natural sweetness to foods and drinks.
Ingredients in Sugar Free Lemonade
As I mentioned, you only need a few simple ingredients plus some ice, and you’ll be well on your way to sipping on this awesome drink. It is one of the easiest keto recipes ever.
- Water - Regular tap water is fine. For a sparkling lemonade mix 2 ounces of still water with the lemon juice and sweetener and top off with plain seltzer the rest of the way!
- Lemon Juice - Whenever possible, it’s best to use freshly squeezed lemon juice. It gives you a lot better flavor. If you don’t have access to Fresh lemons, go ahead and use bottled lemon juice.
- Sugar Free Sweetener - I use my blend of xylitol, erythritol, and stevia which is twice as sweet as cane sugar. There are tips in the recipe to adjust to other sweeteners.
Expert Tip: If you have Keto Simple Syrup made already you can add that instead of the granular sweetener and skip the blending step.
How To Make Keto Lemonade
All you need to do is combine the water, lemon juice, and sweetener together and blend. Then pour the lemonade over some ice cubes in two cups, sit back, take a few sips and relax. What could be better than that?
Blending for a few seconds is the trick to easily dissolving the sweetener. But if you don't want to pull out your blender simple dissolve the sweetener in a little hot water before adding it to the lemonade.
Sugar Free Lemonade Variations and Ideas
While this lemonade is fantastic the way it is, I have a few fun variations for this keto lemonade that I’m excited to share. You don’t have to try any of that any of these ideas, but I think you may like some of them.
- Berries: Add in some of your favorite berries. Blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries would all taste wonderful with this lemonade. You don’t need a lot, just a few to add a little bit of extra natural sweetness. Plus, it looks really pretty in the glass.
- Mint: Placing some mint leaves in the glass will not only add some yummy minty flavor; it also gives you a pop of color.
- Lemon Slices: Garnish the glass with a few fresh lemon slices. It looks beautiful, and you can always toss the lemons in the glass for some extra lemony flavor.
- Slushy: Turn the lemonade into a slushy! Add the blended lemonade ingredients and ice together in a blender. If you also add a pinch of xanthan gum it helps them to not separate. Mix until smooth and slushy. Enjoy this frozen treat on a hot summer day.
- Watermelon: If you decide to make this sugar free lemonade into a slushy it’s a fun idea to add a few pieces of watermelon. It will give you an incredible watermelon lemonade slush the is way better than anything you can get anywhere else.
- Vodka: For a delicious adult beverage sub out a few ounces of the water for vodka.
Can Lemonade Be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can make this lemonade ahead of time. Prepare the sugar-free lemonade as directed and keep it in an airtight container in your refrigerator. It will last 3 to 4 days in the fridge. Give it a shake before serving in case any of it has settled to the bottom.
Can I Freeze Sugar-Free Lemonade?
Yes, you can actually freeze sugar free lemonade. I recommend pouring the lemonade into an ice cube tray. Then take the cubes out of the ice cube tray and place them in a freezer container. You can add the lemonade ice cubes to a glass of water or the next batch of homemade lemonade you make. You could even use the ice cubes for your next smoothy.
- 12 oz cold water
- 4 oz lemon juice preferably fresh
- 3-4 tablespoon Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- Blend together the water, juice, and sweetener.
- Pour over ice and serve.
- OPTIONAL: If you prefer not to use a blender simply dissolve the sweetener in 2 ounces of hot water and then proceed with the rest of the recipe using just 14 ounces of cold water.
More Low Carb Recipes
- Keto Lemon Mug Cake
- Keto Lemon Curd
- Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Crumb Bars
- Keto Lemon Cookies