After the first taste of this Keto Lemon Mug Cake, it will become your new go-to dessert. This mug cake recipe is light and fluffy with a vibrant lemon flavor that pairs perfectly with fresh berries and a cup of tea. This perfect single-serving sized dessert is great for all occasions and simple to make. This easy recipe is low carb, gluten-free, nut-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
You already know I have a strong affection for both mug cakes and recipes with lemon! Mug cakes are such easy recipes and lemon is one of my favorite flavors so I figured why not combine the two and create a delightful dessert that has the best of both worlds. It’s even better than I ever could have imagined and knew I wanted to share it with all of you right away.
All my lemon lovers are going to rejoice when they quickly and easily make a sugar free lemon mug cake and put that first forkful in your mouth. If your taste buds don’t jump for joy I will be shocked. The flavor is tangy, zesty, and refreshing. Using all coconut flour instead of almond flour makes this cake light while being moist.
Don’t get me wrong, I always love chocolate desserts too. I can’t pass up my Keto Chocolate Cake or Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups. However, anything that is lemon-flavored, like Sugar Free Lemon Bars, steals my heart and is often my go-to dessert craving.
Keto Lemon Mug Cake Ingredients
You only need seven ingredients to make this moist and flavorful gluten free mug cake. You probably have many of them in your kitchen right now!
- Butter - Make sure that the butter is softened. You can set it on the counter ahead of time, so it softens or toss it in the microwave for 10 seconds or so. You don’t want it to be melted or really cold.
- Lemon Extract - If you don’t have some lemon extract, it’s worth getting some. It goes with so many delicious lemon desserts, just like this mug cake. If you don't have lemon extract you can sub in lemon zest. Lemon juice will not work, you need extract or zest for a vibrant lemon flavor.
- Sour Cream - The low carb mug cake is super moist in part because of the sour cream. You only need one tablespoon for it to do its job.
- Egg - Don’t skip the egg; it’s what binds the ingredients together and gives the mug cake the right texture.
- Sweetener - You can either use the Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet or use my all-natural sweetener.
- Coconut Flour - Using coconut flour keeps the mug cake gluten-free and full of flavor too.
- Baking Powder - Make sure you are using good quality and non-expired baking powder. It makes the mug cake have the proper rise and keeps it fluffy.
How To Make A Mug Cake
As with my other mug cakes, this lemon cake is also super quick and easy to make. It’s just a few ingredients, and you will be able to indulge! Let’s get started:
First Step: Combine softened butter, lemon extract, sour cream, egg, sweetener, coconut flour, and baking powder in a microwave-safe mug or small bowl.
Second Step: Mix well, then microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Eat right from the mug or bowl or invert onto a plate.
It’s truly that easy! You are going to love this mug cake and how flavorful it is.
Keto Lemon Mug Cake Variations
You can add other ingredients to add some extra flavors to your mug cake. Here are a few ideas:
- Berries - Any berry that is lower in carbs will do. Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries are all good choices. They will add some vibrant colors and taste great too. Just add a few berries, and you’ll be set.
- Coconut - Sprinkle some coconut in the mug cake or add it to the top for a fun and tropical flavor.
- Lime - Add some lime zest to the batter. Don’t go overboard! A little bit will give you so much lemon and lime flavor in every bite!
- Ice Cream - Put a helping of ice cream on top of the warm cake. As it melts, it tastes phenomenal!
- Lemon Curd - Drizzle a little bit of homemade keto lemon curd on top of the mug cake. It’s tangy and delicious.
- Cream Cheese Frosting - Make a small amount of cream cheese icing and spread on top and then add some raspberries. This combination is amazing!
Can I Share This Mug Cake?
Sure! You certainly can share this keto lemon mug cake if you want to. However, like most mug cake recipes, it’s intended to be an individual serving size. I understand that sometimes you may just need a little taste or two instead of the entire mug cake. After you cook the mug cake, simply divide the cake in half and share it with another lemon lover!
How Do You Store Leftover Lemon Cake?
If there happens to be leftover mug cake left, you can save it instead of tossing it out. You’ll need to cover the mug cake or put it in a plastic or glass food storage container with a lid. Refrigerate it for 2-3 days. You can warm it back up in the microwave if you want to eat it warm. Heat it for 10 -20 seconds and enjoy it!
- 1 tbsp butter softened
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tbsp Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- ½ tsp lemon extract
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Mix well in a microwave-safe mug.
- Microwave for about 1.5 minutes until fluffy and moist but not wet.