My Three-Ingredient Instant Sugar-Free Hot Chocolate Mix takes a family favorite and makes it healthier. With a batch of this on hand, even the kids can make their own keto hot chocolate.
I've been wanting to make an instant hot chocolate mix for a very long time. All the ingredients have been staring at me from the pantry. Finally, on a cold January day, I started playing around with the ratios.
If you saw this post on Instagram, you would've seen me up to my ears in hot chocolate experimentation. I rounded up my little taste testers and took their votes on the best one. This one came out on top.
In the winter, my kids love warm beverages. They alternate between hot chocolate and tea most of the time, but my 9-year-old has been known to sneak sips of mommy's coffee.
What You'll Need
The combination of three simple ingredients is mind-blowing! I can't wait for you to try it. Enjoy a warm cup of rich hot chocolate after dinner, when hosting a holiday party, or whenever you are craving chocolate.
- Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet, my Sweetener, or you can convert to the sweetener of your choice - tips in the recipe card!
- Cocoa Powder - We prefer cocoa powder, but you could also use raw cacao powder instead. For an oreo flavored hot chocolate try black cocoa powder.
- Heavy Cream Powder or Coconut Milk Powder - If you are dairy free, then I highly recommend coconut milk powder.
How To Make Sugar Free Hot Chocolate
After you make your own hot chocolate, you will be mad at yourself for not making it this entire time. Skip the premade stuff because this is way better.
Step One: Put the sweetener, cocoa powder, and heavy cream or coconut milk powder in a food processor. Pulse to combine the ingredients.
Expert Tip: I've found that blending the powder helps it to dissolve better. I recommend taking the time for this extra step. If you are in a pinch on time you can just whisk the ingredients together.
Step Two: Add 2 heaping tablespoons of hot chocolate into 10 ounces of hot water. Stir well until the mix is dissolved. Let it cool for a few minutes, then start sipping!
Can I Double The Recipe?
Of course! You can double or triple my recipe for sugar free hot chocolate to make a bigger batch. This recipe will make 8 mugs of hot cocoa.
Another fun idea is to add the hot cocoa mix to cute little jars. Then add some labels and ribbons and give it away for holiday gifts, birthdays, or to welcome a new neighbor to the area. Everyone loves a homemade gift, especially when it fits into their dietary needs!
Keto Sugar Free Hot Chocolate Variations
Feel free to play around with this recipe on your own. If you are hosting an event, set up a hot cocoa bar for your friends. It's going to impress all of them, and it is fun to prepare. Here are some ideas:
- Peppermint Extract - Add a drizzle or two of peppermint extract to the sweetener. Allow it time to dry (just like you would if you were making flavored sugar). Makes for a lovely peppermint hot chocolate flavor.
- Keto Friendly Peppermints - Crush up some sugar-free peppermints and sprinkle them on top of the hot chocolate before serving. So tasty!
- Sugar-Free Marshmallows - You can buy sugar free marshmallows or make them yourself. Either way, adding them to your hot cocoa is a must.
- Whipped Topping - Another must-have is some whipped topping. You could use some whipped heavy cream or whipped coconut milk. Both are delicious. Sprinkle it with cocoa and enjoy!
- Sugar-Free Chocolate - You can also add some sugar-free chocolate to your mug for a toasty warm treat.
- Coffee - Instead of adding the sugar free hot chocolate mix to water, mix it into coffee instead. It's like a fancy gourmet coffee drink.
- Espresso - On those days, when you need some major caffeine, add in a shot of espresso.
- Hot Chocolate BOMBS - This mixed is used inside of my keto hot chocolate bombs. To really kick things up check out that post.
- White Hot Chocolate Mix - Just click for this recipe, it is SO good.
When you are drinking this creamy, velvety rich hot chocolate, keep in mind that any additional ingredients you'll need to adjust the nutritional information.
Can I Make Hot Chocolate With Something Other Than Water?
Sure! You can warm up your favorite non-dairy milk. Almond milk, cashew milk, and coconut milk are all good options. They will need to be very warm, or the mixture won't dissolve all the way. Warm it over medium heat in a saucepan or in the microwave. Add in the sugar free hot chocolate mix and stir until it's dissolved. Enjoy!
How Do I Store Hot Chocolate Mix?
Keep the hot chocolate mix airtight and in a cool place. Storing it in containers with a tight-fitting lid. You could use a glass jar, like a mason jar, or even plastic. As long as it can be airtight and away from heat, it will last for several months.
NEW! I made some cute little tags you can print if you are gifting some hot cocoa. You can get a printable version for free (five per 8.5 x 11 piece of paper - I recommend using cardstock).
- Add the sweetener, cocoa, and heavy cream powder or coconut milk powder to a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Mix 2 heaping tablespoons of hot chocolate mix into 10 oz very hot water. Stir to dissolve. Let cool for a few minutes before enjoying!
Originally Published February 17, 2018. Revised and Republished December 3, 2020.