My Southwest Chicken Appetizer Bites are bursting with the flavors of chicken, cheese, black beans, and Southwestern seasoning. They are perfect for entertaining or as a fun eat with your hands type of meal.
Southwest Chicken Appetizer Bites – Low Carb, Keto, Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, THM S
I really wanted to get this recipe up before that big football game a few weeks ago. We love to sit around, eat apps for dinner, and watch the commercials. Or I like to watch the commercials. The rest of the fam watches the game too.
One of my favorite seasoning blends ever is the Arizona Dreaming blend from Penzey’s Spices. It is unique compared to a typical taco seasoning. I tried to come up with a good way to describe it but I couldn’t. Try to imagine it by reading the ingredients.
Hand-mixed from: ancho chili pepper, black pepper, onion, garlic, paprika, spices, cumin, citric acid, Mexican oregano, cilantro, lemon peel, chipotle pepper, red pepper, jalapeño, cocoa and natural smoke flavoring.
I don’t think I could possibly duplicate this blend in my own kitchen.
Leftover Chicken in Southwest Chicken Appetizer Bites?
Yup! This recipe is a great way to use up leftover roasted chicken. That is what you see in the bowl above!
How to make savory mini cups to hold the filling
I used the back of a teaspoon to press the dough into the mini muffin tin. Fingers work well too.
Toppings for Southwestern Chicken Appetizers
Bake until golden, top with sour cream and cilantro and serve. They look fancy but are very easy to make.
If you really want to kick these up drizzle on some of this Creamy Chipotle Sauce Recipe!
These popped out of my tin fairly easily by running a knife around the edge. If you want to skip this step you can use aluminum mini muffin liners.
I hope you enjoy my Southwest Chicken Appetizer Bites!
Want more yummy apps? Try these:
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Put mozzarella cheese and the cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave one minute. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds. Stir. At this point, all the cheese should be melted. Microwave 30 more seconds (it should look like cheese fondue at this point).
- Put the melted cheese and the other dough ingredients into a food processor and pulse until a uniform dough forms. (Alternatively, you can mix by hand but make sure to knead the dough thoroughly).
- Divide the dough into 24 pieces. Press each into the bottom and up the sides of a hole in the mini muffin tin. It helps to wet your hands.
- Mix together the filling ingredients. Divide the filling between each piece of dough.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Get the Keto
Over 75 delicious recipes with photos
for only $14.99!