Loaded with olives, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, and artichokes this Mediterranean cheese spread recipe is the perfect easy flavorful appetizer. A whirl in the food processor and its ready to serve. Enjoy hot or cold with veggies low carb crackers chips or pita bread.
My husband recently helped with a wine and cheese night for our children's school. Helping included bringing home Costco sized jars of olives and artichokes. What's a girl to do when she can't have those big things taking up half the fridge for months? Use them in a recipe, of course.
I've been wanting to a make a nice cold dip or cheese spread for a while. This was the perfect opportunity. I enjoyed this with vegetables but enjoyed it, even more, when I make a simple pita bread out of mozzarella dough. Fathead dough baked and then sprinkled with salt and a drizzle of olive oil was the perfect accompaniment to this cheese spread.
This was so fantastic I ate it for lunch three days in a row. That is one of the challenges when creating a lot of appetizer or dessert recipes without a party to bring them too. I pass off my creations to my friends whenever possible but I've also been know to find random recipe attempts in the back of the fridge or freezer way past their prime.
Substitutions & Additions
This cheese spread recipe is so versatile that you can swap out any of the ingredients below for others of your choice. I bet adding pepperoni or feta cheese would be excellent. If you like spicy foods toss in a couple of pepperoncini. Oregano would work instead of basil as well. Love garlic? Add some! I really want you to make this recipe your own. And I'd love to hear your tweaks in the comments.
How to Make Mediterranean Cheese Spread
This is as easy and throwing some ingredients into the food processor!
If you don't have a food processor you could certainly chop the veggies by hand and then just mix them into the softened cream cheese. I cut herbs such as basil with my kitchen shears. I find that easier than trying to cut them with a knife.
How to Make Keto Pita Dippers
My Easy Cheese Spread Recipe has the best flavors of the Mediterraneanean in a creamy dip perfect for veggies or low carb pita dippers. To make low carb pita bread simply bake this pizza dough with 2 teaspoons of baking powder added and omit the toppings. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
More Low Carb Snacks & Appetizers
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup black olives
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes softened
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil packed
- low carb pita bread optional
- Pulse the cream cheese in the food processor until smooth. Add the olives, artichokes, and sun-dried tomatoes. Pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the basil. Pulse until mixed into the cheese spread.
- To soften the sun-dried tomatoes simply cover them in hot water for five minutes. Drain the water and use as directed.
- You can make this cheese spread as smooth or chunky as you like. Pulse gently until it is your desired texture. I like it with small pieces of the chopped vegetables in it.
- To make low carb pita bread simply bake this pizza dough with 2 teaspoons of baking powder added and omit the toppings. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.