This keto bang bang cauliflower will make you forget you are on a diet! Crisp keto fried cauliflower with a spicy and sweet chili dipping sauce is sure to please your palate! This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
I need to admit something to you. We splurged at Christmas this year and bought a bag of regular breaded bang bang shrimp from Costco. It was delicious but definitely not gluten free or low carb. I really wanted to add a healthier version to our repertoire and this keto bang bang cauliflower is a perfect choice!
You can serve cauliflower bites as a side dish to dinner, on top of a salad as a main course, or as a party appetizer. It tastes amazing anytime you make it.
What is Bang Bang Cauliflower?
It is fried cauliflower florets with a sweet and spicy dipping sauce. It is a version of the Bang Bang Shrimp very popular at the restaurant Bonefish Grill.
How to make Bang Bang Cauliflower Recipe
This is a simple recipe to make if you've ever fried anything before. You coat the cauliflower florets in an egg wash and then an almond flour breading.
After that, you fry the breaded cauliflower.
Mix up the easy five-ingredient bang bang sauce and you are good to go!
Ingredients in Keto Fried Cauliflower
- heavy cream
- almond flour
- parmesan cheese
Ingredients in Bang Bang Sauce aka Sweet Chili Sauce
- chili paste
- erythritol (or another sweetener of your choice)
- lime juice
Don't I need panko breadcrumbs?
No. In order to make this fried cauliflower keto you skip breadcrumbs entirely. By replacing them with a mix of almond flour and parmesan cheese you don't need panko breadcrumbs or a flour batter.
Can I make this vegan?
I haven't tried making this without the cream and cheese but if you do try that be sure to let me know how it turns out! Coconut cream would be a good sub for the heavy cream and you will need extra almond flour to make vegan bang bang cauliflower bites.
Can I fry this bang bang cauliflower in an air fryer?
Yes, you can definitely do them in the air fryer! I've done it before and set it at 350 for 12 minutes or so until golden brown in the air fryer.
What about baking it?
Baking it should work but the skinny bang bang cauliflower won't end up as crispy. To get crispy baked cauliflower bites spray them with olive oil and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes at 400, flipping once.
Can I make this into Bang Bang Shrimp instead?
Absolutely! Just use raw peeled shrimp and sub it for the cauliflower florets in this low carb bang bang cauliflower.
More Keto Appetizers:
- About ½ of a large head of cauliflower
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with heavy cream. Set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl whisk together almond flour and cheese. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip cauliflower in the egg wash. I put a few pieces in at a time and used a spoon to coat the cauliflower. After it is fully coated, shake it a few times, to shake off any excess egg dripping back into the bowl before adding it to the breading. You don't want the egg dripping going into the breading since the moisture will cause the breading to clump and it will be harder to stick to the cauliflower.
- Place the cauliflower piece into the bowl of almond flour breading, use your fingers to apply a little pressure so the breading sticks to the cauliflower.
- Once coated, set the cauliflower onto a clean baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower.
- To deep-fry the cauliflower, pour cooking oil into a pot. When the oil reaches 350F, gently add a few pieces of breaded cauliflower, stir the cauliflower a few times to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook until a deep golden brown. Remove cauliflower and place onto a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower.
To make the Bang Bang sauce
- Add all sauce ingredients into a small bowl, whisking until smooth. Taste and adjust as needed. If you prefer less spicy you can use less sriracha.
- Drizzle Keto Bang Bang sauce over cauliflower. I have found it’s better to drizzle the sauce over the cauliflower to prevent the breading from getting soft from the sauce.
- Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
To fry in an air fryer
- Cook the breaded cauliflower at 350 for 12 minutes or until golden brown in the air fryer.