Comfort food is calling your name in the form of this Keto Mississippi Pot Roast! The roast is falling-apart tender, flavorful, and incredibly easy to make. Cooking it in the Instant Pot means that it cooks fast, and the flavors have time to really marry together. The results of this keto, low carb, gluten-free, and grain-free dish is sensational.
We have always enjoyed a roast for Sunday dinner, or anytime we are craving something warm and cozy. I have been meaning to share this keto Mississippi pot roast with you forever, and am finally getting the chance. We usually eat it so fast it disappears before I can get any photos.
If you haven’t started using an Instant Pot on a regular basis yet, this recipe may just get you hooked. My pressure cooker has been the front runner in kitchen devices for a while now, and it’s because it cooks meat and other foods so quickly. Food that would typically take all day to cook can be made in an hour or two.
What is Mississippi Pot Roast?
It is a beef roast cooked with butter, pepperoncini peppers, and seasonings, normally a packet of ranch dressing mix and a packet of beef gravy mix. Both of those mixes are normally full of additives like cornstarch or maltodextrin. That I why I wanted to make a low carb keto diet version for you using all real, healthy ingredients. The seasonings in this is basically a homemade ranch seasoning plus some beef bouillon.
What You’ll Need
- Beef Chuck Roast - To get the roast to fall apart when you touch it, you really need to use chuck roast. Nothing else is going to give you those results, so keep that in mind when you are shopping.
- Olive Oil - The best way to lock in all the moisture in the roast is to sear each side of it. It also enhances the flavor a ton too.
- Seasonings - You will need to use a combination of salt, pepper, dried minced onion, onion powder, dried minced garlic, garlic powder, beef bouillon powder, parsley, and dill weed.
- Salted Butter - The butter will melt into the butter to give you the best Mississippi roast ever.
- Pepperoncini Peppers - It’s amazing how such a mild pepper can add so much flavor to a roast. Well, it does, and it’s heavenly.
How To Make Mississippi Pot Roast
Just a few steps and you will be ready to feed a hungry crowd of people this comforting meal. I'm sure it will become one of your favorite keto recipes!
Step One: Begin by turning on your instant pot to the saute setting and adding the oil to the pot. Then once the oil is hot, add in the roast and add salt and pepper. Sear each side of the roast for 3 minutes until it’s browned.
Step Two: After searing both sides of the chuck roast, add the other seasonings, butter, and pepperoncini peppers.
Add the lid and make sure it’s sealed. Then cook on manual high heat for 60 minutes. After it’s done cooking, do a natural release. Shred the roast and throw out any pieces of fat. Serve with mashed cauliflower, and enjoy!
Can I make Keto Mississippi Pot Roast in a Slow Cooker?
Absolutely. If you don't have an Instant Pot or another pressure cooker you can make this in a crockpot. Just cook on high for 4-5 hours. If the meat does not shred easily at that point just cook it a little longer.
How To Shred Pot Roast?
Because the roast is so tender, it’s easy enough to shred with a couple of forks. They also make meat shredders that you can use to tear the meat apart. Another super easy way to shred any kind of meat is by putting it in your stand mixer with the paddle attachment. It shreds the meat quickly, so don’t turn it on for too long.
What To Serve With Mississippi Pot Roast
We typically love to eat our roast with keto cauliflower mash. It’s similar to potatoes, and it goes so well with the meat.
How Do You Store Leftover Roast?
After the roast has cooled, place it in a food-safe container. Make sure the lid fits snug, and it will last in the fridge for 3-4 days. We will make this often to have a quick lunch on hand. So, if you are into meal prepping, consider adding this to your list. Really this roast will go with almost anything, so try out any of your favorites with it.
- 3 lb chuck roast
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon EACH dried minced onion, onion powder, dried minced garlic, garlic powder, beef bouillon powder, parsley, & dill weed
- ½ cup salted butter
- 8 pepperoncini peppers
- Heat Instant Pot on saute setting. Add the oil to the pressure cooker. When the oil is hot add the roast and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Sear for 3 minutes until browned.
- Carefully flip the meat over and sear the other side. Sprinkle with the seasonings, top with the butter and peppers.
- Close the lid and set the vent to sealing. Cook on manual high heat for 1 hour. Let the pressure release naturally. If the meat does not shred easily at this point you can cook the meat for another 30 minutes.
- Shred the meat and discard any pieces of fat. Serve with mashed cauliflower.