This easy vegetarian baked eggplant gratin is perfect for a meatless meal or a side dish. A simple basil and garlic sauce makes it creamy and fulfilling.
I was a vegetarian from when I was 12 until I was 22. I got very good at cooking vegetables and veggie burgers. But that was ten long years without bacon. (I have 20 bacon recipes currently to try to make up for that period of time).
The first Christmas my husband I were married my father-in-law gave me a copy of the Passionate Vegetarian. That was also the Christmas before my husband convinced me to eat meat again. Since then baked eggplant gratin has been my favorite eggplant recipe.
My baked eggplant gratin has all the flavors of eggplant rollatini but ½ of the work. I have loosely adapted the recipe from the Passionate Vegetarian cookbook to make it grain and dairy free.
I'm the only person in my house who eats eggplant. My husband does like it but he is mildly allergic and gets an itchy tongue from it. I don't mind because then I don't have to share. Personally, I will eat this for lunch every day.
How to Prep Eggplant
I slice the eggplant and soak it in salted water. This takes out some of the bitterness and makes it release some liquid so the gratin isn't watery.
Can I use dried basil?
The fresh basil really does make this dish special. I wouldn't recommend substituting dried basil in this recipe.
What type of sauce should I use?
Any type of sugar-free marinara sauce works in this recipe. You can see a jarred kind in my photos. But I've started making my own keto marinara sauce most of the time.
If you do not need this baked eggplant gratin to be dairy free go ahead and top it with some parmesan and mozzarella cheese. It is fabulous either way.
I hope you enjoy this Baked Eggplant Gratin!
Like what you see? Follow me on Facebook! Love this recipe? Leave a comment & 5-star rating right here! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by getting email updates!
- 2 medium eggplants thinly sliced
- 2 green onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup fresh basil packed
- 1 5 oz can coconut cream
- ½ cup mayo
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup marinara sauce no sugar added
- Preheat oven to 350. Soak the eggplant in salted water for 15 minutes. Drain well. Put in a large casserole dish, cover with foil bake for 25 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, chop the green onions, garlic, and basil in a food processor. Add the coconut cream, mayo, egg, salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
- Remove half of the softened eggplant from the casserole dish, leaving one layer. Pour half the basil sauce on top and drop spoonfuls of half the tomato sauce on that. Add the rest of the eggplant and top with the remaining basil sauce and tomato sauce.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes. The edges should be golden and sauce will have thickened.
Made this last week. Making it again for a girls weekend tomorrow. The best new recipe I have tried in awhile. Absolutely delicious!!! I am not dairy free. So, I used regular cream and mozzarella on top. Thank you for the recipe!
So delicious! I made a half the recipe in a small pan because it was just for me. Turns out everyone else wanted some and i didn't want to share 🙂
Amanda J Nagy says
I'm not a fan of basil normally, but LOVE eggplant so will definitely be trying this. I don't need dairy free so bring on the cheese!
I love eggplant and this looks fantastic. Making this next week for sure!!!
This looks amazing! Can't wait to try it!