Keto Sausage Rolls are a biscuit-like bread with sausage and onion in the center. These sausage pinwheels make the best appetizer, snack, or breakfast. You’ll be licking your fingers and going back for more. Get ready to enjoy this gluten-free, grain-free, low carb, and keto recipe.
Anything that has sausage at our house is bound to be a hit, and these keto sausage rolls didn’t disappoint. You can seriously eat them for any keto meal or occasion. Just sit them out and watch them disappear right before your eyes. At least that’s how it is at our house.
I highly recommend taking these easy keto rolls with sausage when you are heading out to parties or potlucks. They are one of those foods that’s irresistible, and you will rarely ever end up with leftovers. I also recommend bookmarking the recipe because odds are people are going to be asking for it, especially when they figure out it's keto. Don’t forget to try out my Keto Sausage Balls too. They are insanely good.
What is a Sausage Roll?
A sausage roll is a traditional British snack made with sausage and onions rolled in puff pastry. They are similar to American pigs in a blanket in which hot dogs are covered in dough and baked.
What You’ll Need
These keto sausage balls have a fat head type mozzarella based dough and a sausage filling. They are both super simple to work with and only require a few ingredients.
- Shredded Mozzarella - It keeps the dough keto and the right texture.
- Cream Cheese - It’s best to use room temperature cream cheese, so it mixes easier.
- Eggs - Again, it’s important to use room temperature eggs.
- Coconut Flour - I love the way the keto sausage rolls turn out with coconut flour. If you prefer you can use 1 cup of almond flour in the fathead dough instead.
- Seasonings - I use a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- Sausage - Any variety of sausage you enjoy will work. I chose to use loose sausage meat so I could add egg as a binder and extra onion. If you prefer you can just cut a sausage link into pieces and use those.
- Egg yolk - This helps hold the filling together properly.
- Dried Minced Onion - It adds some onion flavor that is perfect with the other ingredients.
How To Make Keto Sausage Rolls
Let’s get started with these easy sausage rolls! Take a look at these steps, and you’ll be munching on them soon.
First Step: Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Step Two: Add the cream cheese and shredded mozzarella to a bowl and microwave for one minute. Stir and heat for an additional 30 seconds. Stir again, and you should see that the cheese has melted. Once it’s melted, heat for 30 seconds until you see that it has become globby and uniform.
Expert Tip: It will resemble cheese fondue when it’s done.
Third Step: I find it easiest to mix mozzarella dough in the food processor. If you do not have a food processor you can mix it by hand in a large bowl with a wooden spoon.
Fourth Step: Combine the sausage, egg yolk, and minced dried onion together in a separate bowl.
Fifth Step: Press the dough into a large rectangle on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. This will prevent it from sticking to your work surface. Start adding the filling down the center.
Expert Tip: Wet your hands for best results, so the dough doesn’t stick.
Then lift up the piece of parchment paper and over the filling to cover the filling with the dough easily. Cut into rolls and separate.
Bake it for 25 - 30 minutes. The sausage will be fully cooked, and the crust with be a golden brown when it’s done.
What Sausage Do I Use?
The great thing about these keto sausage rolls is that you can use any kind of sausage that is low-carb. A ground breakfast sausage is my favorite, but you could use other varieties if you want.
Can You Make Keto Sausage Pinwheels Ahead of Time?
Sure! They are great for meal prepping; then, you will have a quick and easy snack on hand. Or if you need to make them ahead of time for a party or event, they are ready to go when you need them. They will last in the fridge up to four days when kept airtight. Or you can freeze them for up to three months.
Keto Sausage Rolls Variations
You can add in your favorite veggies like onions, peppers, tomatoes, or mushrooms to the sausage. Chop them up fine and add them with the sausage. It’s a great way to increase your vegetable intake, and it happens to taste good too.
Another way to change the flavor is to use different kinds of cheese. Cheddar, Pepper Jack, or Colby Jack would all taste good as well.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Put mozzarella cheese and 2 oz of the cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave one minute. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds. Stir. At this point, all the cheese should be melted. Microwave 30 more seconds until uniform and gloopy (it should look like cheese fondue at this point).
- Alternative stove top instructions: simply melt the cheeses over medium-low heat stirring constantly.
- Mix in the egg and coconut flour. You will need to dump it onto wax paper and knead it by hand to thoroughly incorporate the ingredients or you can do this in a food processor with the dough blade.
- Stir together the filling ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Press the dough into a large rectangle (about 6x12) on a parchment-lined baking sheet using wet hands. Spread the filling down the center. Lift the parchment paper up and over the filling to easily cover it with dough. Cut into 12 pieces and separate.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the sausage is fully cooked and the crust is golden.
FREE Mug Cake Cheat Sheet!
Six delicious low carb mug cake recipes on one printable page to keep on the fridge!