This Chocolate Caramel Coconut Cream is somewhere between a coconut custard pie and a Samoa cookie. With layers of chocolate, caramel, and a cookie crust it will be your new favorite dessert. My keto coconut cream pie is also low carb, sugar-free, gluten-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
I have a thing for Girl Scout cookies. I have to admit it. I haven't actually bought any in years but their flavor combinations are spot on. And at the top of the list is the Samoa. Coconut plus caramel plus chocolate? Perfection.
My inspiration for this recipe was from a video going around on Facebook of a high carb Samoa Pie. I didn't even watch it all the way through before I knew I had to make my own version. So this is very loosely based on this recipe from Averie Cooks. My friend Sarah over at My Montana Kitchen saw the same video and also made a low carb version. You can see her's here. Great minds think alike!
If you'd like a few more Samoa based low carb treats you should check out my friend Carolyn's recipes for Samoa Layer Cake, Samoa Donuts, and Samoa Bars over at All Day I Dream About Food. Every recipe of hers that I've made has been amazing.
I love press in pie crusts. Despite the cute rolling pin in my logo I prefer not to have to break out my grandma's rolling pin at all. Let me smush the dough with my fingers and I'm happy. Dump in the crumbs. Smush. Bake. Crust success.
This special homemade coconut pie has not one but two layers of chocolate. I put one layer on top of the crust and then another layer on top of the coconut custard layer.
If you do not need this coconut custard pie recipe to be dairy free and you are pressed for time you can sub in this caramel sauce that cooks in 10-15 minutes.
After the custard is baked comes my favorite part. Pouring the rich caramel sauce all of the top of it. Mmmm!
I purposely made this coconut pie recipe in a glass pie plate so you could see the layers. This photo was before the final chocolate drizzle. So much deliciousness in one pie plate.
I hope you love this Keto Coconut Cream Pie recipe!
- ½ cup sugar-free chocolate chips melted
- Preheat oven to 350.
- First, you are going to get the caramel going. Combine the coconut milk, sweetener, butter flavored coconut oil, and molasses in a small saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened and browned. About 1 hour. Stir in the caramel extract.
- Meanwhile, combine almond and coconut flour, coconut oil, 3 tbsp sweetener, gelatin, and vanilla in a food processor and pulse until crumbs form. Press into the bottom of a deep dish pie plate. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the ⅓ cup chocolate chips on top. Let sit for 3-4 minutes until they have melted. Gently spread with a spatula. Some crumbs from the crust will get mixed in but keep gently spreading until the chocolate covers the crust.
- Combine the filling ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Spread on top of the chocolate covered crust. Bake for 35 minutes. Broil for 2-3 minutes, watching continuously, to toast the coconut on top.
- Poke little holes in the top of the pie (use a skewer, not a straw, or you will be able to see them after chilling - lesson learned). Drizzle the caramel over the baked pie. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Chill for at least 2-3 hours. I prefer this cold.
FREE Mug Cake Cheat Sheet!
Six delicious low carb mug cake recipes on one printable page to keep on the fridge!