You won't miss this candy bar favorite any longer. With my healthy version of the classic Almond Joy candies, you can indulge without guilt. This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
I love Almond Joys. They are one of the candies I can't have in the house or I eat them. Unless it's this version. These are definitely allowed.
With Easter coming I need some special treats in the house so I don't raid the kids' baskets. Even though I don't buy them much candy they always get some from grandparents, friends, school, and daddy.
Even if I've said I'm done shopping for a holiday daddy has been known to pick them up a few treats to go along with the rest. My favorite is when he pops into the mall and gets me one of my favorite truffles from Godiva. Those are definitely not on my diet but I like to indulge in a Chocolate Lava Cake Truffle every once in a while.
Some of our other homemade candy favorites:
How to Make Almond Joy Candies?
Making these are easy. Just mix together the coconut, sweetener, coconut milk, and coconut oil. Form balls, logs, or eggs (your choice of shape!) and coat with chocolate.
What type of coconut for almond joy candies?
Make sure you are using finely grated coconut for these. Larger flakes will not hold together. If you have to you could just pulse larger flakes in a food processor to chop them more.
What type of chocolate should I use?
You can use any sugar-free or very dark chocolate that you like. I don't might the slight bitterness of 85% dark chocolate and it tends to be cheaper than the specialty sugar-free chocolates.
How to coat the almond joys
I love eating chocolate. I do not love coating things in chocolate. It tends to get everywhere.
I did a pretty good job this morning of not wearing the chocolate. I drizzled chocolate on the candies, gently spread it, let that harden, and then dunked them in more melted chocolate. This helped get a smooth outer shell.
Doesn't the way the light is hitting the chocolate make you want to just lick the screen? I wish I could share one of these with you. They are that good.
After you make these try more homemade keto candies:
Keto Almond Joy Candies
- Melt coconut oil and coconut milk (if its solid) in the microwave. It takes about 30 seconds. Stir in the sweetener, coconut, vanilla, and salt.
- Shape into 12 bars and press almonds into the tops.
- Melt the chocolate. I do this by breaking the chocolate bar into chunks and microwaving on high for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave 30 more seconds. Stir. Repeat. Once it is 80% melted stop microwaving and just stir until it completely melted.
- Drizzle chocolate on the top and sides of the bars. I used an offset spatula to get the bottom part of the sides. Refrigerate or freeze until the chocolate is hard.
- Flip bars over and coat the bottoms. They look prettier if you can manage to cover all the coconut but they are delicious either way. If you want them to look professional do two coats of chocolate and move them to new wax paper before refrigerating.
Originally published April 28, 2016. Updated and republished March 8, 2018.