There are just 3-ingredients standing between you and this delicious Pesto Cauliflower. It makes an easy side to go with all your favorite meals. Plus, this healthy dish also happens to be keto-friendly, low carb, gluten-free, and grain-free too.
A pile of tender cauliflower combined with savory and nutty pesto has to be one of the best pairings ever! Then you add some tangy parmesan cheese to the mix, and you end up with a side dish made for a king! For real, it's so good you aren't going to want to miss it.
Even if you aren't the biggest fan of cauliflower, give it a taste anyway. The mild flavor of the cauliflower allows the pesto and parmesan to steal the show.
I'm always happy to make all my no-fuss recipes, and this pesto roasted cauliflower has been at the top of my list lately. How can you go wrong with something this simple? You can't!
- Cauliflower - Filled with fiber, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, vitamin K, vitamin B6, and more! Due to all the nutrients in cauliflower, it's basically one of the healthiest veggies you could eat.
- Pesto - You can use any pesto you like, but I usually use my nut-free pesto. In addition to tasting great, it only requires 4 ingredients and can be thrown together in mere minutes.
- Parmesan - I prefer to use shaved parmesan because it gives a great cheesy layer to the cauliflower. Plus, when it starts to melt, it's pure heaven!
I used a classic basil pesto but you are welcome to use a sundried tomato pesto, spinach pesto, kale pesto, or any other pesto you enjoy!
How To Make Pesto Cauliflower
There isn't much you need to do to cook the pesto cauliflower. The oven does all the work leaving you to spend time preparing the rest of the meal or sipping on a Keto Mojito.
Step One: Heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Step Two: Coat the cauliflower pieces with pesto. Toss until coated and layer onto a baking sheet.
Step Three: Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
Step Four: Top with the pieces of shaved parmesan, serve, and enjoy!
Pesto Cauliflower Tips & Variations
- Add parchment paper or lightly grease the baking sheet to prevent sticking. Cleanup will be a breeze!
- Cut the cauliflower into similar-sized pieces. Otherwise, you are going to have an unevenly cooked batch, and some may be mushy while other pieces are still undercooked.
- Don't overcrowd the pan. Leave enough space between the pieces of cauliflower, so they cook evenly.
- Craving a little bit of spice? No problem, sprinkle with some red pepper flakes or a dash of cayenne pepper before roasting.
- For added flavor, season with salt and pepper to your liking. You can also use other seasonings like garlic powder; just be sure to use a little, so it's not overwhelming.
- Lemon or lime. Really, for a bit of zesty flavor either squirt on a little lemon juice or lime after baking or toss the cauliflower with some fresh zest.
- Every oven cooks a little bit differently, so keep an eye during the last 5-10 minutes of baking to ensure it's not overdone. Add more time as needed.
- For best results, serve hot and fresh. You will get the most out of this side dish when you eat it right away.
- Cauliflower pesto. Want to turn this back into a pesto? Simply process in a food processor until it is finely chopped. You can use it to top low carb pasta and more!
Do I Have To Wash Cauliflower Before Roasting?
Yes, you should always rinse the head of cauliflower before you begin. The key is to dry it off after you have rinsed it. This is because excess moisture can cause it to become mushy as it roasts.
Could I Use A Different Vegetable Instead of Cauliflower?
Yes, you can swap the cauliflower or add in some other veggies with it. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, and asparagus would all be great choices.
Is It Okay To Use Shredded Cheese?
Absolutely! I prefer shaved, but that doesn't mean that is what you have to use. It's best if you shred the parmesan yourself instead of buying it bagged and shredded. It's going to melt better, and you don't have to worry about added starches.
- 1 head cauliflower about 2 pounds
- ½ cup pesto
- ¼ cup shaved parmesan
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the cauliflower with the pesto.
- Roast cauliflower for 30 minutes until tender and slightly charred.
- Top with shaved parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Get the Joy Filled Eats Keto eBook Bundle!
Over 100 easy recipes w/photos & nutrition info.