This Easy Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu has all the flavors of the classic dish but is ready in under 30 minutes. Pair it with some veggies and dinner is a cinch.
One of my family’s favorite meals is my Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole. If I have pre-cooked chicken it is a snap to put it together for an easy dinner. But yesterday when I was staring at a pack of raw chicken breasts in the refrigerator I decided to skip the pre-cooking, skip the baking, and make it into an easy skillet meal.
The second reason I decided to make this was that I had about half of a leftover spiral sliced ham in the fridge. We had a family party on Sunday and while we were at church I left it in my Instant Pot. I guess I miscalculated the cooking time because it was very well done when we returned. It was edible but too well done for my liking. When I put pieces of it in this meal my kids thought it was bacon.
Anything covered with cheese is normally a hit in my house. How can you go wrong with rich and creamy cheesy gooeyness?
I love this creamy dijon sauce. I could eat it on anything. And lick the spoon when I was done. A few readers were aghast that I use an entire stick of butter in it for my Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole so I tried to half the butter. Nope, not the same. I added the other half of the stick and it was perfect. This is rich and is not a meal for every night but when you are craving something decadent and creamy it is perfection.
Step 1. Cook the chicken until it is 155 degrees.
Step 2. Top with the ham. Hopefully, your ham will be less well done than mine. It looks so much like bacon that I actually just typed bacon instead of ham and had to go back and edit.
Step 3. Spread the sauce over the chicken and ham.
Step 4. Cover with cheese. Traditionally Chicken Cordon Bleu uses Swiss cheese but I was out of Swiss. I subbed in mozzarella this time. It was still yummy but did lack the punch that comes with Swiss. Next time I may use a combo of the two.
Step 5. Cover with a lid and cook on low for about 5 minutes until the chicken has reached 160 on a meat thermometer and the cheese has melted. Serve!
Easy Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu – Low Carb, Keto, Grain & Gluten Free, THM S
1 tbsp olive oil
2 – 2.5 pounds raw chicken breasts, cut in half
1/2 tsp salt
10 oz ham, cut into bite-size pieces
1 stick salted butter (4 oz), melted
6 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp white wine, optional
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
6 oz swiss cheese (or other white cheese such as mozzarella or provolone)
Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Drizzle the olive oil into the pan. Add the chicken and sprinkle with the 1/2 tsp salt. Cook for about 7 minutes until the bottoms are golden. Flip. Cook until the chicken reaches 155 with a meat thermometer.
Meanwhile, whisk together the melted butter, softened cream cheese, white wine (if using), mustard, lemon juice, and salt. Whisk until a thick sauce forms.
Top the cooked chicken with the ham. Spread the sauce on top. Put the cheese on top of the sauce. Cover with a lid and cook until the cheese is melted and the chicken is 160 degrees when checked with a meat thermometer.
When you need chicken cordon bleu and it's too hot to turn on the oven just make it in a skillet!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 - 2.5 pounds raw chicken breasts cut in half
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 oz ham cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 stick salted butter 4 oz, melted
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine optional
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 oz swiss cheese or other white cheese such as mozzarella or provolone
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Drizzle the olive oil into the pan. Add the chicken and sprinkle with the 1/2 tsp salt. Cook for about 7 minutes until the bottoms are golden. Flip. Cook until the chicken reaches 155 with a meat thermometer.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the melted butter, softened cream cheese, white wine (if using), mustard, lemon juice, and salt. Whisk until a thick sauce forms.
- Top the cooked chicken with the ham. Spread the sauce on top. Put the cheese on top of the sauce. Cover with a lid and cook until the cheese is melted and the chicken is 160 degrees when checked with a meat thermometer.
|Amount Per Serving, 8 servings per recipe|
Total Fat 29g
Saturated Fat 16g
Total Carbohydrates 3g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Vitamin A 16%
Vitamin C 5%