This keto yellow squash casserole is mouth-wateringly delicious. It’s made with flavorful yellow squash, has a creamy, cheesy sauce, and a perfectly crunchy topping. You only need 10 minutes of prep and 8 easy ingredients to make this yummy dinner. This easy yellow squash recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
Do you know how those crazy busy days get and the last thing you feel like doing is cooking? That was recently, and I can’t even tell you how tempted I was to hit up a fast-food joint. Then I started to remember that I had everything I needed to whip up this quick and easy 20-minute dinner!
It was painless to throw together, and the entire family gobbled down every bite. I am so glad I didn’t give in to temptation just to save time. Because as fast as this keto casserole was to make, I wouldn’t have saved any time when you think about loading up and driving. Plus, this was so scrumptious!
How To Make Keto Squash Casserole
Step 1: Begin by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.
Step 2: Cook the chopped squash in a skillet with water over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
Step 3: After cooking the squash, drain it and add green onions to the skillet. Sautee then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Step 4. Add the squash to a well-greased baking dish. Top with the egg beaten with cream.
Step 5: Sprinkle squash with 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
Step 6: Crush pork rinds and place in a bowl. Add parmesan cheese to the pork rinds and combine.
Step 7: Add some melted butter to the pork rind mixture and stir.
Step 8: Place the pork rind mixture on top of the squash.
Step 9: Bake until the top is bubbly and brown, which is around 20 minutes.
Step 10: Garnish with chopped green onions and serve.
As with many of my recipes, you can adjust this keto casserole to fit your preferences. It’s easy to add in or swap out your favorite ingredients. Here are a few ideas to try out:
- Zucchini - You can mix or match zucchini with the yellow squash in this casserole. Just don’t add more than 4 cups total of the veggies.
- Mozzarella Cheese - Either swap out the cheddar entirely or do a combination of the two. Mozzarella adds a lovely flavor.
- Italian Seasoning - Add some Italian seasoning to the pork rind mixture for some extra pizzazz. I would start with 1-2 teaspoons and go from there.
- Mushrooms - If you are a mushroom fanatic, you will love the texture and flavor the add to the keto casserole.
- Bacon - Doesn’t everything taste better with a little bit of bacon?
- Chicken - Chop up some cooked grilled chicken breast and toss into the casserole. This is perfect if you want to add some meat to the mix.
Is Yellow Squash Casserole Healthy?
Yes, of course, this keto squash casserole is healthy. Each time you eat it, you are getting lots of vitamins and minerals. Squash has potassium, vitamin B6, folate, and vitamin E. Plus, you will get vitamin C, folic acid, iron and calcium in the onions. This is just the beginning of all the tasty nutrients you get, so eat up and feel good about it.
Can I Make Keto Yellow Squash Casserole Ahead?
Yes, you can make this keto dinner casserole ahead of time. Bake it as directed then allow it to cool down completely. Once it’s cool, wrap it up with plastic wrap tightly, then place in the fridge. It will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Additionally, you can freeze squash casserole, and it will last around 1-2 months. It’s just important to make sure it’s completely airtight and protected. Defrost by putting in the refrigerator the night before.
This is a fantastic freezer meal or perfect for meal prepping if you like to do that. Sometimes we will make a double casserole and freeze one for later.
How Do You Reheat Yellow Squash Casserole?
Make sure that the casserole is defrosted if you had frozen it. Then you can place it in the oven at 375 degrees F. for 10-15 minutes. You just want it to be hot, and then you can serve it. Additionally, you can heat it in the microwave. I prefer to cover it with a paper towel, so it doesn’t pop all over the microwave. Start with 30-second intervals for smaller serving sizes. This is perfect for a quick and easy lunch idea too.
What To Serve With Keto Squash Casserole
One thing that I love about casseroles is you can serve them by themselves and have an entire meal. When we have a larger crowd or appetite, I will serve it with some other things. Here are some of my go-to recipes:
- Cucumber Tomato Salad With Lemon Dill Dressing - So creamy and flavorful.
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin - One of our favorite proteins!
- Zucchini Salad With Lemon & Feta - This is the perfect starter to this tasty squash casserole.
- Baked Chicken Legs in Oven - These are very simple but flavorful and pair perfectly with this squash casserole.
- Stuffed Mushrooms With Bacon & Cheese - Whether you serve this as an appetizer or side dish, it’s a crowd-pleaser.
- 4 cups yellow squash, chopped
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 1 egg
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- ½ cup pork rind crumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly chopped green onions for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the chopped squash into a skillet with some water over medium-high heat, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain the squash, and add the green onion to the skillet. Saute for a minute, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the squash mixture in a well-greased 9x9 baking dish.
- Mix together the beaten egg and ½ cup of heavy whipping cream, and pour this mixture over the squash in the casserole dish.
- Top the squash with 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Crush up about 2 oz. of pork rinds to create ½ cup of crumbs.
- Pour ¼ c of parmesan cheese into the bowl with the pork rinds, and stir to combine completely.
- Add the melted butter into the bowl with the pork rind mixture, and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the pork rinds crumbs over the top of the squash casserole.
- Bake for 20 minutes until browned and bubbly. Top with freshly chopped green onions for garnish.
Get the Joy Filled Eats Keto eBook Bundle!
Over 100 easy recipes w/photos & nutrition info.