My baked Keto Smothered Pork Chops recipe has tender baked pork chops smothered with caramelized onions and mushrooms in a creamy sauce with hints of rosemary. This easy pork chops recipe is rich and creamy despite being dairy free.
There have been several times over the years that I've given up dairy. Whenever I have, I really really miss it. I miss creamy comfort food.
I've been debating cutting back on dairy to try to start losing the baby weight from my last baby, so I'm trying to increase my low carb keto meal options before jumping in.
I really want a few rich and creamy dairy-free dinner options. I had the idea to make these keto low carb smothered pork chops dairy free, and they came out splendidly. You cannot taste the coconut cream at all. I'll repeat, you cannot taste the coconut cream at all. No one in my family knew that the delicious sauce on these was coconut-based. The onions and garlic hide all the coconut flavor in this pork chop recipe.
So, no worries if you have people in your household that despise coconut! They won't even know they ate it, and you never have to tell them. Plus, I am good at keeping secrets, so your secret is safe with me.
What You'll Need
- Onions & Garlic - slice the onions thin and you can also slice or chop the garlic.
- Butter Flavored Coconut Oil - if you do not need this recipe to be dairy-free you can use butter.
- White Mushrooms - baby bella mushrooms are another good choice.
- Coconut Cream - or sub in heavy cream and/or cream cheese.
- Mayonnaise - my secret ingredient! It gives a smooth creamy texture to the sauce.
- Glucomannan or Xanthan Gum - this is the gluten free thickener for the sauce, you only need a bit of either option.
- Dried Rosemary - or fresh if you have some. Fresh thyme leaves are a great sub.
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Pork Chops - I use boneless pork loin chops in this recipe.
How To Make Keto Smothered Pork Chops
The first time I made these, the bacon mushroom cream sauce was a little thin. With just a couple of tweaks the next time, it came out perfectly, and I am so excited to be sharing it with you.
My trick for these is to cook the onions, mushrooms, and garlic in the casserole dish and then remove them and add them to the sauce. Next, you par-cook the pork. Drain any cooking liquid, top with that fantastic onion gravy you've been trying not to eat by the spoonful, and finish baking.
By cooking the onions and garlic first, they get nicely caramelized without dirtying a frying pan. You just need one mixing bowl and one casserole dish for this recipe. Alternatively, you can saute the garlic and onions in a cast iron skillet and then transfer that to the oven.
What Temperature Does Pork Need To Be Cooked To?
You should cook the pork chops until they reach 155 degrees. Then let them sit and rest for 10 minutes before serving. The internal temperature will increase as it rests. Overheating the pork chops will leave them dry and dense.
It's best to use a digital thermometer when measuring meat temperatures because it's fast and accurate. You don't have to worry about trying to read the small lines before the temperature starts going down.
Can You Meal Prep Smothered Pork Chops?
Yes, absolutely. These pork chops also taste just as good leftover. I ate them for lunch for a few days during recipe testing. Normally I get bored with leftovers but not this time.
Simply prepare the recipe as directed, then place them in a large container or single-serving containers to grab for a quick lunch. If the sauce gets too thick you can thin it with a little chicken broth.
What Do You Serve Keto Smothered Pork Chops With?
Serve with some vegetables or a salad, and you have a perfect, healthy, dairy free, and keto friendly meal. The flavor of the pork chops really goes well with all sorts of side dishes. Roasted veggies would be a nice touch too. Either way, it's a healthy dinner option that your entire family is going to be happy about eating.
How Long Does Cooked Pork Last?
Cooked pork chops will last in the fridge for around 3-4 days. They should be cooled down before you put them in the refrigerator. Any airtight container will work well.
I don't really recommend freezing these baked smothered pork chops because the mayonnaise will separate some. It can be done, but you probably aren't going to like the texture or consistency.
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoon butter flavored coconut oil
- 4 large white mushrooms sliced
- 5 oz can coconut cream
- ⅔ cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon glucomannan (or another thickening agent)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 boneless pork chops (about 3-4 pounds)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Put the onions, garlic, and coconut oil in a large casserole dish. Bake for 15 minutes. Add the mushrooms. Stir. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together the coconut cream, mayo, and seasonings.
- When the vegetables are softened and golden add them to the sauce. Set aside.
- Put the pork chops in the casserole dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Drain the cooking liquid. Top with the sauce containing the onions and mushrooms. Bake for an additional 10-20 minutes or until the pork chops are cooked thoroughly.
Originally Published February 5, 2018. Revised and Republished June 11, 2021.