My Baked Smothered Pork Chops are covered with caramelized onions and mushrooms and a creamy sauce with hints of rosemary. They are rich and creamy despite being dairy free.
Baked Smothered Pork Chops – Low Carb, Paleo, THM S, Keto, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
There have been several times over the years that I’ve given up dairy. Whenever I have I really really miss it. I miss creamy comfort food.
I’ve been debating cutting back on dairy to try to start losing the baby weight from baby #5 so I’m trying to increase my meal options before jumping in.
I really want a few rich and creamy dairy-free dinner options. I had the idea to make these Baked Smothered Pork Chops dairy free and they came out splendidly. You cannot taste the coconut cream at all. I’ll repeat, you cannot taste the coconut cream at all. No one in my family knew that the delicious sauce on these was coconut based. The onions and garlic hide all coconut flavor.
The first time I made these the sauce was a little thin. With just a couple tweaks the next time it came out perfectly.
These Baked Smothered Pork Chops also taste just as good leftover. I ate them for lunch for a few days while recipe testing. Normally I get bored with leftovers but not this time.
My trick for these is to cook the onions, mushrooms, and garlic in the casserole dish and then remove them and add to the sauce. Next, you par-cook the pork. Drain any cooking liquid, top with that fantastic sauce you’ve been trying not to eat by the spoonful, and finish baking.
Serve with some vegetables or a salad and you have a perfect, healthy, dairy free, and low carb meal.
By cooking the onions and garlic first they get nicely caramelized without dirtying a frying pan. You just need one mixing bowl and one casserole dish for this recipe.
This was attempt number one. Delicious but too liquidy. Make sure to drain the cooking liquid from the pork and use a thickening agent in the sauce.
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp butter flavored coconut oil
- 4 large white mushrooms sliced
- 5 oz can coconut cream
- 2/3 cup mayo
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp glucomannan (or another thickening agent)
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 boneless pork chops (about 3-4 pounds)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Put the onions, garlic, and coconut oil in a large casserole dish. Bake for 15 minutes. Add the mushrooms. Stir. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together the coconut cream, mayo, and seasonings.
- When the vegetables are softened and golden add them to the sauce. Set aside.
- Put the pork chops in the casserole dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Drain the cooking liquid. Top with the sauce containing the onions and mushrooms. Bake for an additional 10-20 minutes or until the pork chops are cooked thoroughly.